Can PNGs be used for all music library artwork?
Thumbnails (wiki) isn't terribly clear, but it seems as though album art has to be JPEG. Is that true? It might explain why I'm having a dreadful time applying PNGs to my albums. Is there a way around this?
I'm have an R.Pi B+ running the latest stable OpenELEC.
You're right, its not terribly clear. But this should answer your question I guess.

Quote:Note that folder.jpg must be named .jpg, even if it is a .png format image.
It sure does. Thanks.
And I tried that, but it doesn't seem to work. Maybe the problem is I'm not looking in the right place. When I save a PNG as "folder.jpg" what exactly should I do to see it manifest?
So when you re-scan your music library (it is scanned in, isn't it?), it should now appear as the album cover art when you are browsing your music.
(2015-06-10, 19:33)helta Wrote: You're right, its not terribly clear. But this should answer your question I guess.

Quote:Note that folder.jpg must be named .jpg, even if it is a .png format image.

Hmm, that seems like something that could be easily fixed (maybe). I wonder if there is a Trac ticket for this.
I must say suggesting that a jpeg is renamed to be a .png sounds like an almighty hack.
That's going to cause a lot of confusion for any image editing programs.
I'm guessing we just need to add .png to the default accepted names? https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...s.cpp#L265
I've used that trick elsewhere. For image editing programs, I find they read the image header to determine the image format and don't care about the extension (at least for common image types). It's really no different than tbn versus jpg/png.

But aside from core Kodi, I have seen in skins where images are displayed using code that reads a skin-setting file path concatenated with an infolabel.jpg so it's hard coded n the skin file to jpg.

scott s.
(2015-06-10, 19:42)helta Wrote: So when you re-scan your music library (it is scanned in, isn't it?), it should now appear as the album cover art when you are browsing your music.

Yes, I rescan it. I dunno, maybe it does appear as the album cover, but like I said, I don't know if I'm looking at the right thing. Also, since Kodi doesn't let you see which directories the material in the library occupies, there's even more room for getting lost.
I'm not sure how you don't know if its working or not.

Place a folder.jpg in an album folder.

Update the Music LIbrary:

Go to Music->Artist-> Find the album you placed the folder.jpg in.

Is the album cover there?
But how do I know which album to look at? All I know is I've put a JPEG in a directory and what the full path of that folder is. Which album do I go to to find it? Kodi doesn't provide a means to identify the directories with which albums are associated. With some error-prone sleuthing I can infer which album to look at, but when I don't see the album art there, that only adds to the confusion.
Follow up: it seems that the PNGs (when named "folder.jpg") will be recognized and used for album artwork, but it takes more than just a simple library scan. It also takes a lot of time and head-scratching.
(2015-06-11, 00:21)RoccoJones Wrote: But how do I know which album to look at? All I know is I've put a JPEG in a directory and what the full path of that folder is. Which album do I go to to find it? Kodi doesn't provide a means to identify the directories with which albums are associated. With some error-prone sleuthing I can infer which album to look at, but when I don't see the album art there, that only adds to the confusion.

You can use texturecache.py to view your music library metadata, including artwork urls. And if you need to re-cache the artwork, it can do that too. See sig...
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I tried your script, but it doesn't seem to tell me anything I would want to know beyond what
Code:
find something -iname folder.jpg
does. In any case, like I mentioned above, it just seems to take a really long time (and at least one library scan) to get the artwork to appear everywhere.
For some reason I thought you were trying to interpret your metadata.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can PNGs be used for all music library artwork?0