What would you do with these hardware resources?
I'm obviously new to the media-center world, however I'm not at all new to Linux, coding, or command line whatsoever. I say this because while I may not have the hardware to create the system I want at this time, I'm capable of setting things up however recommended. I have a general idea of what I'd like to install and the type of system I want, but I'm not sure what to do with the hardware and computers I already have, and would like some experienced members advice on what they would do in my position. For anyone wondering why I don't just wait, I lost cable in my apartment for a few days, and am bored out of my mind. I'd like to set up something temporary, so that when I purchase some new components later this month, I might either have some hardware in place that could still be used, or something I can easily replicate with the new hardware.

At this time, I have a few extra computers I'd like to incorporate until I can build something permanent. Even after building something permanent, I'd still like to know how these other computers might be best served, if at all.

First off, I have a mid 2005 Mac Pro. Its capable of running up to OS X 10.07 Lion. I'm also willing to install a Linux distro on it, either dual boot, or to replace OS X if this was recommended to be my main front-end (and back depending on the system). It is pretty noisy when it gets working, so once again, I don't think this would be my long term solution as permanent front-end.

I also have an older Dell PC. I'm assuming it was made mid 2000's. It served as an office computer. Not much in the way of..anything in the form of computing power or memory/hard drive space as it currently sits. My thought was to install FreeNas on it and run it with some external, or SATA Hard drives as a dedicated NAS. Its compact enough to fit just about anywhere.

For the time being I'm going to be running through Plex Server via a Roku on my TV for most viewing. My long term my plan is to run a HDHomeRun system with a Cable Card, TVHeadEnd as a backend, and KODI box running to my tv, with a main server distributing to everything, including my main computer which I'm using now ( a new Mac Pro), iPads, iPhones, etc. If any of these computers could have a place, that would be great to get some use out of them.

Am I looking at this backwards? Should the computer with more computing power be used as a front and back end with the Dell running as a NAS? Or would you suggest something else? Really interested in what people have to say here. If I sound completely new.. I am.
(2015-06-13, 22:13)peterjohnjoseph Wrote: I'm obviously new to the media-center world, however I'm not at all new to Linux, coding, or command line whatsoever. I say this because while I may not have the hardware to create the system I want at this time, I'm capable of setting things up however recommended. I have a general idea of what I'd like to install and the type of system I want, but I'm not sure what to do with the hardware and computers I already have, and would like some experienced members advice on what they would do in my position. For anyone wondering why I don't just wait, I lost cable in my apartment for a few days, and am bored out of my mind. I'd like to set up something temporary, so that when I purchase some new components later this month, I might either have some hardware in place that could still be used, or something I can easily replicate with the new hardware.

At this time, I have a few extra computers I'd like to incorporate until I can build something permanent. Even after building something permanent, I'd still like to know how these other computers might be best served, if at all.

First off, I have a mid 2005 Mac Pro. Its capable of running up to OS X 10.07 Lion. I'm also willing to install a Linux distro on it, either dual boot, or to replace OS X if this was recommended to be my main front-end (and back depending on the system). It is pretty noisy when it gets working, so once again, I don't think this would be my long term solution as permanent front-end.

I also have an older Dell PC. I'm assuming it was made mid 2000's. It served as an office computer. Not much in the way of..anything in the form of computing power or memory/hard drive space as it currently sits. My thought was to install FreeNas on it and run it with some external, or SATA Hard drives as a dedicated NAS. Its compact enough to fit just about anywhere.

For the time being I'm going to be running through Plex Server via a Roku on my TV for most viewing. My long term my plan is to run a HDHomeRun system with a Cable Card, TVHeadEnd as a backend, and KODI box running to my tv, with a main server distributing to everything, including my main computer which I'm using now ( a new Mac Pro), iPads, iPhones, etc. If any of these computers could have a place, that would be great to get some use out of them.

Am I looking at this backwards? Should the computer with more computing power be used as a front and back end with the Dell running as a NAS? Or would you suggest something else? Really interested in what people have to say here. If I sound completely new.. I am.

I would donate your stuff to a charity and go with new hardware....
The dell will be fine as a server, unless you want to transcode.

What graphics chipset does the 2005 Mac have?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What would you do with these hardware resources?0