Req Warning on install 3rd party repos/addons and restore to default.
We have enough warnings and notices in our everyday as it is (browsers asking us to "allow" full screen, the goddamn cookie warning, tapaf***talk, etc etc). I'd like to install a repo without Kodi giving me some crap warnings.

In other words I'm not stupid and know what I'm doing. That morons come crying to the Kodi forums after installing some shady repo/addon, shouldn't affect my usage of Kodi.

Here's a solution: 2 day ban on the first offense on forum, then 1 week. Third time: indefinitely.
(2015-11-25, 18:41)NEOhidra Wrote: .
But vendors would be able to remove it from the source code so its pointless.

You may be giving vendors too much credit. In almost all of our ebay takedown conversations, the conversation is invariably "Why did you take down my Kodi box? I was just trying to spread the word about Kodi. What was I doing wrong?" Most vendors are just as clueless as most users. The same thing happened at CES last year. We'd run into yet another booth selling Kodi with piracy addons and they'd be totally surprised when we were unhappy with them.

The people pushing the piracy addon agenda have a financial incentive to use the words "free movies and tv" in their videos and blog posts, because those words get them more views and more dollars. They don't have a financial incentive to point out that piracy is illegal and pre-installing addons like this violates our trademark policy. So everyone on the next level down, the vendors, have no idea.
@Nate

Its really sad but true, but more to the point that not everyone is clueless, in fact many know exactly what they are doing when they sell these boxes or install these addons.

Late last night in #kodi @freenode there was a troll, who got away with his accusations that Kodi is the biggest piracy platform out there atm and made some raucous trying to provoke reactions from regulars (who all remained silent but frustrated) and took advantage of the fact thers no oversight (ops) in #kodi and #kodi-linux while he spewed his poison to all who could read.

So in this sense a warning is the best way to go about this, not like Soli suggested to ban people, the job is one of education and protecting the name of the project we all love.

But again, this thread was started not for the pirate addons but for the endless tools that break kodi with their insane configurations and that the community supporting others in forums and IRC dont want to have to deal with someone elses idea of what kodi should be.

--Edit--
Also badly coded addons break kodi and that most of these 3rd party addons are badly supported or often break themselves, so hence a warning that allows users to know that they are possibly unknowingly breaking kodi by doing adding addons like the beast and other similar ones that automatically turn kodi into a support nightmare and also add pirate addons an do unknown changes.

That pirate addons are caught in that net is a happy coincidence—a unintended side effect— that seems to upset some people who seem to take it personally or that we are telling them what to do with their boxes. Thats simply not the case, just dont ask me and others to support your choices and broken stuff because of it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Warning on install 3rd party repos/addons and restore to default.0