• 17(current)
HP 260 G1 [Haswell Celeron 2957U]
(2015-07-07, 12:22)LarrxX Wrote: Will this remote work with Windows and/or Openelec to power up from complete shutdown and navigate through Kodi then shutdown again?

That looks like a relative of the Rosewill remote I have had success with - but with the additional support of IR blasting (or poss remote IR reception - though I'm guessing blasting) (the small additional jacks on the USB receiver are probably for IR blasting - like the original MS remote receiver).

It's not identical though (the remote is, the receiver is different) so as I haven't used that specific model I can't guarantee it will work. I'd suspect it has a very good chance though.
It's referenced here and seems to be the same model. GUess the only way I'll know is to just make the leap and buy it...
"Automobiles have been the best mêlée weapons to use against monsters since the 50s." - Atomic Robo
Now I've had a little play with this I'm pretty impressed with its Kodi abilities within Windows,
I don't know how it would handle more demanding interlaced content but its deinterlacing seems faultless on Freeview SD and HD, not only can DXVA Best be selected as the deinterlace method but selecting lanczos3 as the scaling method produces not one glitch or dropped frame.
I would say its the bargain of the year, but apart from the display port adapter I already had everything else I needed to add to it like extra storage, wifi adapter, RC, wireless keyboard and mouse, but its still a pretty good bargain even if you have to add peripherals to the cost.
More so for me as I've recouped all the cost by selling a friend who's been pestering me to source a Kodi box for him my Pipo X7 for the cost of this HP unit Big Grin
Hi stammie. Good news. What parts did you use for the storage. Thanks
(2015-07-07, 18:14)stammie Wrote: Now I've had a little play with this I'm pretty impressed with its Kodi abilities within Windows,
I don't know how it would handle more demanding interlaced content but its deinterlacing seems faultless on Freeview SD and HD, not only can DXVA Best be selected as the deinterlace method but selecting lanczos3 as the scaling method produces not one glitch or dropped frame.
I would say its the bargain of the year, but apart from the display port adapter I already had everything else I needed to add to it like extra storage, wifi adapter, RC, wireless keyboard and mouse, but its still a pretty good bargain even if you have to add peripherals to the cost.
More so for me as I've recouped all the cost by selling a friend who's been pestering me to source a Kodi box for him my Pipo X7 for the cost of this HP unit Big Grin

owch, selling to a friend lol if you was a friend shoudn't you have advised him on the HP . I'm sure you gave him below cost for the pipo but now that this is viable the pipo is overpriced lol
if there was a netflix app for linux version then most folks won't need android
@Mark142
I had a couple of USB 3 memory sticks doing nothing in particular, one 32 GB one 64 GB, I can't envision I'll need much more than that as this is pretty much a client machine, but I do have USB 3 HDD's I can use if necessary.
I would say some external (or internal if you can source the sata cable) would be a must, there really isn't a lot of hard drive space left after updating Windows and installing a program or two unless you delete the recovery partition.

@MediaPi
My friend is getting a decent deal, he's been pestering for ages to source a box (he has a laptop he's using for Kodi but can't connect that to his TV),
I advised him to order a Pipo or equivalent but he wont order from overseas and wants me to do the work,
he's not a power user so a Pipo will serve just fine and as I'm throwing in a keyboard, wireless mouse, RC, 32 GB SD card and HDMI cable he's not doing bad for 90 quid
(2015-07-07, 19:29)stammie Wrote: @MediaPi
My friend is getting a decent deal, he's been pestering for ages to source a box (he has a laptop he's using for Kodi but can't connect that to his TV),
I advised him to order a Pipo or equivalent but he wont order from overseas and wants me to do the work,
he's not a power user so a Pipo will serve just fine and as I'm throwing in a keyboard, wireless mouse, RC, 32 GB SD card and HDMI cable he's not doing bad for 90 quid
Thats a great deal Smile your right the pipo can beat the HP for certain things
stammie some pictures of your new toy would be awesome if you have time. since the HP 260 G1 was aimed at buisness sector I've only come across one picture of it online lol
http://i.imgur.com/x7xNVFX.jpg

It's fun seeing others having fun with stuff Big Grin
I see alot of users favouring the windows kodi as apposed to openelec. is this true? is the future of kodi on windows with these powerful but affordable windows 8 machines?
Windows offers more legitimate alternatives like Netflix, Now TV etc as well as Kodi.

I'm not sure a pic will show much as my unit is hidden behind my tv but here it is next to my work supplied ipad mini

Thankyouuu Smile, you get a good perspective on the size of the box, that top of the box is screaming to have a big KODI sticker on top haha
yeah your right about windows giving being more versatile. I'll add to the first post at the bottom for size perspective
Netflix works on Linux too.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-07-07, 22:18)nickr Wrote: Netflix works on Linux too.

Yes you're right but as this is pretty much a UK thread as this hardware doesn't seem to be available anywhere else at this price then the legitimate services available via Windows exceeds Linux and as it comes with Windows 8.1 I was basing my comment on MediaPi's question although I should have qualified that by stating when you get Windows for free,
without it being thrown into the package I'd wholeheartedly say go for a Linux based distro.
It doesn't add anything to the information in this thread but techradar have reviewed the 260 G1 today

In fact that review is woefully short of the helpful information Kodi users have supplied here,
it does have a few more pictures for MediaPi though Smile
It looks sweet! thanks for the share, haha when I'm bored I try to research more on this unit but can't believe I missed the article, going to have a read. I do like the pictures Big Grin

Dissapointed with the review, bare bones information, no mention of the ability to add a hdd, no mention of the need for a hdmi adaptor. At this price point its ideal for HTPC, openelec is a big brand, surprised they didn't mention that. Ebuyer would have sold more if they gave a unit to a member of the Kodi team, though it woudn't really add anything.
So MediaPi. With all the information you have will you be replacing your raspberry pi 1?
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP 260 G1 [Haswell Celeron 2957U]2