From addons to browser - Best Kodi OS for streaming flash video
So I'm about to pull the trigger on my first mini HTPC and in all likelihood it is going to be the Asus Chromebox. What I intend to do is connect to my Sony LCD-TV via HDMI and make it my HTPC. I mainly (about 95% of the time) stream flash video from various sites. The idea behind Kodi and a mini HTPC was to find an affordable solution that is quiet (I often watch movies at nighttime when there are people sleeping in the same room), energy efficient, small and easy to use.

I'm new to Kodi but have some experience concerning its addons. There seems to be an addon for most of the sites I regularly stream from. I know the UI of streaming something from an addon is much nicer than using a browser (Chrome) although I'm not sure about things like stability concerning the addons.

Anyway, there will be instances where there is no addon for a streaming site and I have to use Chrome. However, using Chrome, or rather, how fast and easy it is to get from Kodi to Chrome (and how Chrome functions) might have its own problems. This is where I need your expertise. Which route would you go?

1) Installing Kodibuntu as standalone to Chromebox and using Chrome

2) Using ChromeOS and Kodi as a dual boot solution and switching to ChromeOS when there is no addon for a specific site

3) Not getting Chromebox but something like a NUC or HP Stream Mini and using Windows and Chrome for those instances where certain flash streams cannot be found via Kodi's addons

Again, I'm not asking this just from the point of view of how fast and easy it is to go from Kodi to Chrome but also how Chrome functions (does Kodibuntu's Chrome work just as good as ChromeOS's Chrome or Chrome for Windows).
(2015-06-16, 20:32)Tigerman82 Wrote: I'm new to Kodi but have some experience concerning its addons. There seems to be an addon for most of the sites I regularly stream from. I know the UI of streaming something from an addon is much nicer than using a browser (Chrome) although I'm not sure about things like stability concerning the addons.
Somewhat similar concerns and answer to this question here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229795
(2015-06-17, 04:39)Xulonn Wrote: I'm not a big sports fan, but I occasionally like to watch F1 auto racing, 49'ers football or special programming. I haven't subscribed to cable TV for many years, and I'm wondering if I can watch occasional programs like that with the Kodi system without expensive subscriptions?
My suggestion to you would be to get an Amazon Fire TV (Stick) as an supplementary source to be able to run Android apps for channels which are not available via addons for Kodi.

Chromebox are nice but not being able to run Android apps will limit your options for streaming legal content via official apps, and there is no discussing illegal accessing pirated content.

Also, utilizing free over-the-air television via a USB TV-tuner and a PVR backend together with Kodi is another great option if you get signal in your area, follow guide here http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR
(2015-06-17, 12:06)RockerC Wrote: Chromebox are nice but not being able to run Android apps will limit your options for streaming legal content via official apps, and there is no discussing illegal accessing pirated content.

I wasn't aware we were talking about pirated content. So in a Kodi forum you cannot ask a question concerning addons many of which offer flash streaming? Wow.
(2015-06-17, 12:19)Tigerman82 Wrote:
(2015-06-17, 12:06)RockerC Wrote: Chromebox are nice but not being able to run Android apps will limit your options for streaming legal content via official apps, and there is no discussing illegal accessing pirated content.
I wasn't aware we were talking about pirated content. So in a Kodi forum you cannot ask a question concerning addons many of which offer flash streaming? Wow.
We weren't, just want to let you know that can talk about addons that offer free content from legal sources, but don't ask about banned addon that offer free access to paid content.

Read http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=119117 and http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_rul...ed_add-ons which explains the forum rules a lot better.

YouTube and Vimeo for example both offered flash streaming before and the addons for those have never been banned since they officially only offers legal access to free content.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
From addons to browser - Best Kodi OS for streaming flash video0