Unstoppable and stable Videoplayback on incorrect Videofiles
I have issues sometimes with not 100 % correct Videofiles. After testing many Players on Desktop and the Android Plattform I find out that all of these Files play good on my Desktop with the videoplayer: mpv in smplayer and akzeptable with mxplayer on the Android Plattform.

Other Players on Desktop like: mplayer, totem, vlc, xbmc, kodi, spmc
and on Android like: vlc, vplayer, archos video player, xbmc, kodi, spmc

stopps playback with these incorrect files almost on the same position of the video file.
In MPV (with or without smplayer) on Desktop and with MXPlayer on Android (BOTH FFMPEG BASED)
there are only a few broken frames or max. 30 seconds broken videoplayback but they don't stop playing and the video file is good watchabel after all.

In my Opinion mpv makes a better job than mxplayer.

On MXPlayer more video is not watchabel and it automatically step sometimes a few Minutes to far , also the Video Audio Sync is in this case sometimes not correct. Both issues are easilly to solve by stepping manually back in the near after the first error in the video file. If you stop to much backward to this errorpoint it can be very annoying because the big automatically step forward from the player comes again. Also stepping forward over this errorpoint sometimes brings you for example not as expected 10 seconds instead more many minutes.

In mpv on the Desktop there are no cases like this. It just shows a few brocken frames and the video play syncron with video and sound. If the video is more broken (like 1 minute for example) it gives the audio out and plays until the video shows up again. Anyway on mpv there is no problem because you can step forward for exampel 10 or 30 seconds an you see that the rest of the video file is playing well. Even there are no issus like unexpected forward steps like mxplayer.

I think it would be a very good idea to test kodi against many broken video files with different formats. For exampel on corrupted Downloads. Unpacking issues like crc errors and Keep broken files option and uncorrect demuxed videos.

I don't know what mxplayer and on first place mpv do so much better for unstoppable videoplayback and error stability but maybe it is worth to take a look in their code.

If you need an example file I can give one recorded from tv.

Best regards for your top work on the best Media Center Software out there,

mutorio
for the record, did you try software decoding only in kodi?
I try Software encoding only with all my Players on the Desktop because of some issues with vdpau playback in the past.
On Android I try only hardware decoding with tegra 3 and amlogic s902 chipset.

Is it common on Kodi Development to take many tests with broken video files, like I descripe?
My feature request ist to do this on a regular basic with known problematik files, maybe with some automation.

Additional it would be very helpfull to find out why the Player mpv sems to have no problems by playing those files.

Mpv is a fork of the mplayer and mplayer 2 code and mplayer instead of mpv have problems with those files. So it looks like it have to do with some Improvements they made in mpv development.

Many Users prefer a videoplayer that have lesser problems by playing any videofile they throw on.
That's why it can be a good reason for using Kodi or not, depending on how Kodi handle those problematic Files.

Those Problems I know for many Years now and I would like to see that kodi will be the best videoplayer in this cases.
We usually assume that files are not totally broken, so I guess the answer is no.
I know, it's a lot of work. But I usually try playing my files with VLC and my TV (Panasonic). When either fails or has problems, I simply convert the file to MKV with ffmpeg, which usually solves the problem. If not, I try a different source or use AviDemux to repair the file.

converting a file to mkv with ffmpeg is easy:

Code:
ffmpeg.exe -i sourcefile outfile.mkv
we do some test runs with some problematic files during release stage - at least I do. But this is not done for all platforms and all kinds of chipsets and settings combinations out there
Good to hear, thanks for testing da-anda.
Testing on a regular base with a testplan and some automation should be a subject for stable Software deveopment.

What about learning from other Player with lesser Problems of playback problematic files like mpv as I descripe before?
(2015-06-26, 22:29)mutorio Wrote: Good to hear, thanks for testing da-anda.
Testing on a regular base with a testplan and some automation should be a subject for stable Software deveopment.

What about learning from other Player with lesser Problems of playback problematic files like mpv as I descripe before?

It should be a subject but the fact is we simply not have enough people to do this. Enough to do, too few people to do it including lack of time. Hence we rely on the public to test.
Also it's questionable if we should help bad encoded files survive. If it's bad it should be redone
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Exactly. Stop using broken files.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unstoppable and stable Videoplayback on incorrect Videofiles0