DIY Flirc project
nice!
noggin have you had a look at
http://stevesprojectpages.com/arduino-mi...ter-board/ ?

EDIT. noggin this sounds like its something you could use, but can't make heads or tails about what they actually doing? sounds cheap and cool though, do you know what they doing?
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=317625.0
(2015-06-28, 18:03)MediaPi Wrote: nice!
noggin have you had a look at
http://stevesprojectpages.com/arduino-mi...ter-board/ ?
Hadn't seen it - but looks pretty similar to what I'm doing - though I'm happy with a Micro USB to USB Cable to connect so only have to worry about the TSOP. May be useful in de-bouncing/de-repeating approach though.

Quote:EDIT. noggin this sounds like its something you could use, but can't make heads or tails about what they actually doing? sounds cheap and cool though, do you know what they doing?
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=317625.0
That looks quite NEC specific. I'm using Ken Shirriff's IR library which works for a number of protocols.

I'm concentrating on RC6 at the moment - using Ken's format the RC6 from an MCE remote and from an Xbox 360 Media remote differ by 0x7000 and the repeat codes for both differ by 0x8000. If you want to recognise both codes for both remotes then you only really need to look at the least significant byte. (So and-ing with 0xFF will give you that)

I've got my MCE IR remote sending 0-9 as keys now.

** EDIT And Cursor Up/Down/Left/Right **

Need to work on the debouncing code but it's looking very hopeful.
nice! please keep this updated, I like reading about this kinda of DIY stuff
also why not purchase this for £0.99
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10pcs-Type-A-4...33948070d1

just incase in the future you might want to add that

it'll take 3 weeks to arrive lol
(2015-06-28, 18:54)MediaPi Wrote: nice! please keep this updated, I like reading about this kinda of DIY stuff
also why not purchase this for £99
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10pcs-Type-A-4...33948070d1

just incase in the future you might want to add that

it'll take 3 weeks to arrive lol

Have ordered some MicroUSB breakout boards (don't like the idea of USB connectors soldered on - for the same reason I don't like HDMI to Displayport dongles)
Update. Code now reasonably de-bounced and working.

The alternating codes for repeated key presses in RC6 make this nice and neat. If the code changes to the alternate for the previously pressed key you know it is a new key press, if not then check and see how long since the previous key press and reject those too close together.

Next step is to try it with the HP 260 G1 and OpenElec - and work out a decent key mapping in the Arduino code for the more obscure buttons on my remotes, and/or those that don't currently have public keyboard shortcuts.

My C++ probably sucks - but I appear to be learning a bit as I go...
(2015-06-29, 01:34)noggin Wrote: The alternating codes for repeated key presses in RC6 make this nice and neat. If the code changes to the alternate for the previously pressed key you know it is a new key press, if not then check and see how long since the previous key press and reject those too close together.

Sweet! so if you press a key consecutively within a certain time period then it changes to secondary function for that key? sounds nice

(2015-06-29, 01:34)noggin Wrote: Next step is to try it with the HP 260 G1 and OpenElec - and work out a decent key mapping in the Arduino code for the more obscure buttons on my remotes, and/or those that don't currently have public keyboard shortcuts.

goodluck, fingers crossed

(2015-06-29, 01:34)noggin Wrote: My C++ probably sucks - but I appear to be learning a bit as I go...

you'll get more reward this way :p plus I'm sure some talented C++ members will come along
(2015-06-29, 08:44)MediaPi Wrote:
(2015-06-29, 01:34)noggin Wrote: The alternating codes for repeated key presses in RC6 make this nice and neat. If the code changes to the alternate for the previously pressed key you know it is a new key press, if not then check and see how long since the previous key press and reject those too close together.

Sweet! so if you press a key consecutively within a certain time period then it changes to secondary function for that key? sounds nice
Not exactly - the RC6 protocol alternates IR codes for consecutive presses of the same key (so each key has two codes) - so you can tell the difference between a second press of the same key (when you get a different code) or a continued press (where you get the same code repeated) Basically bit 0x8000 toggles on each key press of the same key (so you can ignore that bit if you are only looking to see which key has been pressed, but take it into account to detect the difference between a repeat or a second press)
great feature! would be def interested in something like that
(2015-06-29, 10:41)MediaPi Wrote: great feature! would be def interested in something like that

It's a function of the RC6 Protocol use in MCE remotes. Probably one reason they are quite popular. That support is what Microsoft use in Windows Media Center for 'triple tap' text input using the number keys, using the alternating codes for the same key to detect multiple presses. That's why some non-MCE remotes that use keyboard HID work for entering numbers but don't alternate codes and so don't work for triple-tap text entry in WMC I believe.

I suspect I'm going to have start a blog to put this stuff up on, along with putting the code on github...
Do what feels fun I guess. not having to make it a choir Smile
Well that's a bit boring. Tested it with my HP 260 G1.

My Arduino Micro-based circuit drives OE fine after boot up, but when the HP shuts down something odd happens. The keyboard-USB port connected Arduino continues to be powered, but the TX and RX lights on the Arduino permanently light up as if it is being sent data. I'm guessing it is being put in a funny mode during Linux shutdown (it mounts as a serial port as well) so I'm guessing that confuses things.

Will have a think and continue work on this over the weekend.
how about shutting down the HP without the arduino attached and then after shutdown attach the arduino and see if you can boot it back on from cold boot, if this works then its worth trying to solve the other issue
Already tried that.
did the HP turn on ? and where you able to navigate the boot screen?
(2015-06-30, 20:21)MediaPi Wrote: did the HP turn on ? and where you able to navigate the boot screen?

No - haven't got HP to turn on from shutdown using Arduino Keyboard HID.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DIY Flirc project1