v14 h264 decode video freeze
Hey All

I've been getting frustrated by an issue playing back h264 content for some time using openelec on an old version and finally got a chance to upgrade to the latest kodi release to see if the issue would be resolved.
Currently I'm using helix installed as kodibuntu installed in the last 3 days.

To summarize, when playing an h264 encoded tv episode with audio passthrough (most likely unrelated) occasionally the video will just lock up or freeze but the audio will continue.
Occasionally, the video will suddenly jump forward and catch up with the audio, but the majority of the times the video never recovers.
Occasionally the audio will also stop.
This is usually paired with the symptom of hearing a fan spin up in the PC, I suspect the CPU fan but I'm not sure.
When the video freezes, I usually cannot get access to the OSD to stop the episode, the playback resume point is not saved and the only way to recover is a hard reboot.
Keyboard control doesn't work, even ctrl-alt-del.
This problem occurred at some point in the past year, before that there was never an issue so I suspect a hardware failure (such as the video card I use for h264 offload) but I would like it if that could be confirmed from the log.
I have captured a log of playing an episode and thankfully the video crashed about 30 seconds into the video.
After reboot (and this is consistent) the video will not freeze in the same place again - it will just play through the spot where it crashed last time so it doesn't appear to be data corruption.
I've reviewed the log myself and it seems that there is a hardware decoder issue and then ffmpeg hangs waiting for data, but I am not sure if this is a software bug or a hardware issue.
I have tried many different settings in kodi (xbmc/openelec too) as diagnostics before attempting an upgrade, so i've tried most combinations of turning off hardware acceleration for decode, vdpau etc, the way sync is held between audio and video etc.
I can say that the lockups appear to happen less regularly when hardware decode is turned off but they still happen occasionally.
Sometimes episodes will play through without an issue, other times it will freeze every 5 mins.
Okay, that's all the information I can think of providing, if we think it's a hardware issue it'd be good to know if we think it's a video card or cpu issue.
Here is the log as captured tonight: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vrizmszz733hps...4.log?dl=0
GPU broken?

Provide: dmesg | pastebinit after such a hang / freeze whatever

I would suggest doing a full memory test.

VDPAU is most likely the best tested code path and run by millions of users in kodi - I don't believe there is a "general issue" ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I am definitely leaning towards a dead/dying GPU. I was hoping for some confirmation based on someone who knows how to read the log.
I've done a full memtest on the pc already as part of early diagnostics and left it running for 24 hours with all passes.

When it crashes, I can't get access to the box/kodi/ubuntu, there's no input and the only way to get things back is a hard reboot, won't that clear the dmesg output?
The kodi version you are using is not the latest kodi release either, 14.2 is if you want the latest Helix you are running 14.0

But OK look at the sytem temperatures and or evn try to give the system a good clean as well as updating to the acual latest Helix v14.2 or even maybe 15beta2

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
h264 decode video freeze0