Unique audio issue
I call it unique because I cant find anyone with the same problem. I have lost all system sounds, including sounds running through HDMI to my onkyo Tx-nr3009 receiver. The sounds are the normal sounds when you change menu's, or select something in KODI, and the theme music I added to my movies. Now even when I run a test in windows 7 for my speakers, I get no sound from that test, when it worked in the past. But the weird part is, if I play a MKV movie through Kodi, I get the full DTS MA played through my system. I think somehow Kodi jacked some things up on my computer.

Let me back up a bit.......I have Helix 14.2 installed, and am using the MQ5 skin version 6.1.8 (Im pretty sure it is that, I uninstalled Kodi this morning to see if it fixed my problem, but I seem to remember it being 6.1.8) Up until 2 days ago everything was working fine, all sounds were being played through my home theater system ie all Kodi sounds including the sounds of changing menus and selecting items, and all the normal windows sounds ie opening a folder in windows.

I found out I could add theme music to my movies by going to the movie and pushing the "C" button and then pressing "get more info" So I started to do that. I added theme music to "Tron" and "Avitar" etc. Then I found out I could add extra fanart like disk art, banner etc so I started to do that. This is where the problem started.......I was getting the theme music playing fine until I downloaded some clearart. All of a sudden the Kodi system sounds stopped working, and the theme music stopped. At this time I was only using my laptop, and it was not hooked up into my home theater. I was a little puzzled, but didn't put to much thought into it. Later in the day I hooked my laptop into my home theater, and the problem persisted. I restarted my laptop, and the problem was still there. I went through all the audio settings on Kodi, and they were all in check. The GUI sound button was checked to "skin default", and the HDMI settings were set to WASPI with my receiver selected. Then I checked all the settings in windows, and everything was in check there as well. It showed my receiver being the default device, but when I run a test with my speakers I get no sound at all.

I did a complete uninstall of Kodi thinking that might solve the problem, but it didn't. When I run the test in windows for my speakers I still get nothing, even though everything is configured correctly. Since that didn't work I did a system restore on my laptop to the day before the problem started, that didn't fix it either. So now I am lost on how to fix this issue. It seems to have started from downloading some clearart with this skin. I have not re-installed Kodi yet, because I want to fix the audio issue in widows first.

To recap......I was getting all windows and Kodi sounds playing through my home theater system, until I downloaded some clearart in MQ5. Now I don't get ANY Windows or Kodi system sounds through my home theater system, BUT if I play a MKV movie through Kodi I get the full DTS MA, or True HD audio.

Can anyone help guide me to fix this issue?
Another thing to add is that I tried different HDMI settings within Kodi. So with WASPI selected I did a test with the windows audio manager and I got not sound, but if I changed the settings within Kodi to direct sound with my receiver selected and I did a test with windows audio, I got sound out of all my speakers except for the rear left surround. But by changing to direct it still did not give me the Kodi system sounds. I thought that the WASPI setting was the one to use.

This leads me to believe that Kodi (or the skin MQ5) has changed the audio settings in my laptop, but I cannot find where. Everything is in check.
Does it work in Confluence? Audio settings are all controlled by Kodi.

scott s.
You better check out your Sound Drivers, it sounds like they were upgraded (patched by MS no doubt). The key to check here, is that you aren't getting sounds in Windows, which Kodi has nothing to do with.

So do the following...

1. download the latest sound driver for your Windows hardware, and see if that fixes the sound issue in Windows. If yes, then test in Kodi.
2. Verify the correct speaker setup within Windows Sound (Control Panel\Sound).
3. Make sure you don't have multiple Sound drivers (Realtek and AMD High Definition Audio for example).

Basically get Windows Sound to work, and the rest of Kodi will work.
(2015-06-24, 04:48)Powerhouse Wrote: You better check out your Sound Drivers, it sounds like they were upgraded (patched by MS no doubt). The key to check here, is that you aren't getting sounds in Windows, which Kodi has nothing to do with.

So do the following...

1. download the latest sound driver for your Windows hardware, and see if that fixes the sound issue in Windows. If yes, then test in Kodi.
2. Verify the correct speaker setup within Windows Sound (Control Panel\Sound).
3. Make sure you don't have multiple Sound drivers (Realtek and AMD High Definition Audio for example).

Basically get Windows Sound to work, and the rest of Kodi will work.

I will give your suggestions a go......I just thought it had something to do with Kodi because the issue literally started while I was making changes within the Kodi settings. My computer did not install any automatic updates or anything. Also this is a brand new laptop, I have only had it for 3 weeks, and everything worked fine for the first 2.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unique audio issue0