Solved Skipping inconsistent, forward sometimes skips back etc.
@puthove if you put it on mega.co.nz I can try it.
[ If this is totally the wrong place to ask such questions - please delete this post ... ]

This is typically quite elusive to reproduce - if you are sitting down watching a recording and are 1/2 way through watching and are skipping forward past ads, it will happen. If you sit down with logging on and try to reproduce it (to provide logs that might help the devs), it often hides itself quite well Sad

Anyways, I can infrequently reproduce the "skip back to time 0" problem, which manifests itself as a seek to negative time
in DVDPlayer.cpp (e.g. "demuxer seek to: -56381"),
Now, I have been adding a few debug lines of my own to try to get a broad idea where the stimulus is for this.

As an example, I was curious if DVDplayer.cpp/HandleMessages was passed a negative time, or whether line 2352 was responsible for the negative time (it isn't, btw)

Now, something upstream of DVDPlayer seems to be the cause so ......... could some kind dev just give me the names of what modules are involved ? (It would save me hours trying to work it out the hard way)

i.e. "skip key pressed" handler is in Module X ?
Calculation of required time to jump to is in Module Y ?
Skip Message is sent to DVDPlayer::HandleMessage by Module Z ?

I am not asking for descriptions of how it works - just the names of the modules involved would nudge me in the right direction....
(2015-08-24, 20:53)negge Wrote: @puthove if you put it on mega.co.nz I can try it.

Alright, I'll record one and try to verify that I can reproduce the skip to 0 before uploading. I'll let you know.
Ok, I have a file for you. It's uploading right now to my google drive. It'll be available via this link when it's done:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_bzwv...XFUQlEzZEk

I was able to successfully see all the previously described symptoms in this file. It's about 31 minutes long. Skipping too far forward, skipping backward when trying to go forward, skipping all the way to time 0 when skipping forward in the middle of the file.

I was simply using the default 10s skip step to skip through from the beginning. I'd skip several times, wait and let it play normally for a little while (30s, 1min, etc.) then continue skipping. If you skip all the way to the end of the file, just restart from the beginning, or skip all the way back and start over. Seems like it might not do it all the time (as others have mentioned here).

Edit: upload complete
This is my first post, so I want to say thank you for kodi an all the great add ons.

I have the same problem as all the others in this discussion. As you can see in my profile I'm using linux machines on the server an client side and the server is an arm plattform.

I would like to mention two issues:
The effect of jumping back to the beginning shows up with longer and shorter recordings. The german news format ist 15 minutes and additional 5 minutes at the start and end of the recording. If I try to skip the first 5 minutes I regulary have the mentioned problem. If I jump directly by pressing 500 + Enter it works.
The recording is an German HDTV broadcast stream (ARD). No transcoding or changes in any way.

Alexander

Server: Cubieboard 3 (cubietruck); 2x sundtek dvbs-2; HDD over SATA; Ubuntu server 14.04 image (stefanius), tvheadend4.1-372~g0913eba (compiled from source, transcoding disabled)

Client: ZOTAC Motherboard D2550ITXS-A-E/D2550ITXS-A-E; Kodibuntu 14.04; Kodi 2:16.0~git20150810.0200-9c659e8-0trusty (from ppa); kodi-pvr-hts 2.2.5-2~trusty (from ppa)
@negge - were you able to download that file? Let me know so I can remove it.
Is this issue still being worked on? If not, is there any way to obtain and install the TVHeadEnd PVR addon that was used under Kodi Helix, since it did not have this problem?
This happens to me all the time, like to know where it's at as well.
This bug is super frustrating, I would also like to know.
While I was watching the American preseason NFL, it was so annoying, I tried different versions of Kodi. As I normally do for watching a sporting event, I start recording it, then after about half an hour or so, I start watching it. For the first 50 minutes or so of watching the game and fast forwarding through the commercials, it worked great. Then it started to go back to the start of the recording on almost every fast forward. I was using the latest Kodi 15.2 Isengard – Release Candidate dated Aug. 28. Out of frustration, I installed the latest nightly Kodi v16.0 “Jarvis”, same thing. I then went to the Google Play store and downloaded and installed SPMC based on 13.4, no more FF problems. I then went to the Semperpax website and downloaded and installed Koying's 14.2.0 version, again no FF problems.

I am using my MK808B Plus running OpenELEC and tvheadend server for my PVR/DVR backend. I was using my new Tronsmart Orion R68 as my client. But, it doesn't matter what client I used, it still had the same FF problem.

Edit: At that time I was using my Minix 8X-H Plus Andorid box, and not my R86, I switch back and forth between boxes to test them.
I notice today that this thread is creeping up on 1,100 views, which is quite a few for a thread only a couple of months old. I would just say that if you have this issue it might not hurt to leave a post if you haven't already. For one thing it will keep this issue at the top of the list for those that sort newest to oldest, but also it will help prove that this is not an isolated problem affecting only a handful of users. Maybe if this thread gets enough posts the addon developers will realize this really is a serious (and annoying) issue affecting a lot of people. Also, if you have an account on the bug tracker, it probably wouldn't hurt to leave a comment there as well:

https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.hts/issues/92

And if any of you are coders could you please take a look at comments on that bug by FernetMenta and especially Glenn-1990 - I am not a coder so I really don't understand what they are saying but I get the idea that Glenn-1990 may have suggested a fix; I just don't know how you would apply that to the addon and make something that could be installed on our systems so we can test it. But I sure wish someone who's into building software from source would try that suggestion and report the results, assuming you understand what is being suggested there.
Bit surprised when I started the thread here, and over on the tvheadend forums, of the initial lack of "me toos" - a a result I suspected an oddity in my own setup for quite a time. However...there now seems to be a growing amount of folk seeing it, perhaps as a result of upgrading to later versions of Kodi and/or the pvr.hts plugin.

Key thing is replication though, I guess, for those "in the know", as that'll be a sticking point for anything other than a speculative fix...

@negge (or anyone else in the dev team): did you manage to get replication of the issue with the uploaded recording? Would more examples help?
If you are not a Ubuntu user, unfortunately this post won't help you. But this is happening to me also, and I read on another forum that if you want to see what version of the addon you are running you can do:

apt show kodi.pvr.hts 2>&1 | grep Version

When I did it, it showed I am running:

Version: 2.1.17-1~trusty

In the same post it mentioned there is another repo where this addon is available, and when I looked at that, the version they offer for Ubuntu Trusty is

kodi-pvr-hts_2.2.5-2~trusty_amd64.deb 26-Jul-2015 20:15 176K

All versions are shown at:

https://launchpad.net/~wsnipex/+archive/ubuntu/kodi-git - filter by your distro, for this addon there are builds for Vivid, Trusty, Precise, and Utopic.

This repo is maintained by Wolfgang Schupp, who is wsnipex in this forum and who is listed as a Team-Kodi Developer. To add it as a source I believe you would do this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/kodi-git

Or to download a .deb file for manual installation you can go to http://ppa.launchpad.net/wsnipex/kodi-gi...i-pvr-hts/

I have not tried this because I don't know if it would fix the problem, but also mainly because I fear that if I install it and it doesn't work, I won't be able to get 2.1.17-1~trusty back without reinstalling Ubuntu first. I am certainly not telling anyone to install this version; I'm simply pointing out that it exists. But if you do choose to install it, I and probably many others would love to hear whether it appears to fix the problem, and whether it is in any other way different from the 2.1.17 version. So please post your results.
This has been a problem for ages. (since new stupid skipping options that nobody actually likes was added :p)
Happens on latest 2.2.6 too.
(2015-09-06, 20:18)robo989 Wrote: This has been a problem for ages. (since new stupid skipping options that nobody actually likes was added :p)
Happens on latest 2.2.6 too.

Agree with all this. I just finished testing this on a spare machine. If you try to install that updated addon from Wolfgang Schupp's repository under Isengrad, it crashes Kodi immediately at startup. If you then change to the nightly repository for Jarvis and install that, Kodi and the updated addon work together but it still doesn't fix the problem. So that seems to be pretty much a dead end.

Why can't developers ever leave things alone when they are working? And when they do break things, why do they act like it's no big deal? Rhetorical questions, I know.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skipping inconsistent, forward sometimes skips back etc.2