NAS NFS Share Failure on Fire TV box
Hi all,

Recently picked up an Amazon Fire TV after hearing good things about running Kodi and Netflix on it. I have had endless problems unfortunately and I'm not sure where the issue lies.

The set up is basically: Fire TV connected to TV and connected to WiFi. The Qnap NAS hosting the shares (TS-431) is connected via Ethernet and has a static IP of 192.168.1.10. I've installed the latest stable Kodi onto the Fire TV and have left it stock otherwise.

I have added the shares via NFS in Kodi and it initially picked it up fine. However if its idle for say, 15 minutes or so it closes all the connections and refuses to re-establish them when trying to play anything or updating the library. It comes up with the standard "File is no longer available. Remove from library?" for everything. It usually takes removing the sources entirely and re-adding them from scratch (which then requires rescanning) or a reboot of the NAS before it works again.

I tried a couple workarounds such as the Wake on LAN addon in the hopes that Kodi sending a WOL packet would at least force it to "connect" to the shares or at least talk to the NAS. I also tried Watchdog as I heard it keeps the share connections open by polling for file changes and the like. No luck with either.

I have followed the NAS guide on the wiki for Qnap devices to no luck. I have tried root squash to UID 0, I have tried no root squash. Insecure is already set in the exports. Here is a link to both /etc/exports and /etc/config/nfssetting just incase I've missed something.

Here is my debug log, I disabled the Wake on LAN and Watchdog addons just incase. You can see it failing to connect to nfs://192.168.1.10 throughout the log with no specific error.

Could anyone point me in the right direction? This has been endlessly frustrating.

Cheers.
I had a similar problem on my Fire TV Stick. When I added my video sources (WD MyCloud NAS) via NFS they sometimes dissapear and I had to rescan everything. Sometimes it worked for a longer time (several days) but it was annoying that it was not reliable. I had the impression that it depends on the fact that my NAS is going to sleep after 10 minutes idle time but I am not sure if this causes indeed the problem. I now switched to connect the shares via SMB and this works without problems until now. So no real solution but a workaround (if you can share your sources via SMB).
Unfortunately I wish switching to SMB solved the issue.

I get a similar issue with SMB in that once the connections are closed it does not re-open until the NAS is rebooted. I even tried FTP, which seemed to work initially but it too failed. I am beginning to think its an issue with the NAS itself.
Bumping this again. Can anyone help?
Bump. Seriously this crap is frustrating me to no end, does ANYONE have any ideas?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS NFS Share Failure on Fire TV box0