Skylake: "only ... decode 8-bit HEVC" --> Kaby Lake: "full HEVC/10-bit decode"
Let's hope when you all bought your hardware according to the data sheet that the software will be able to use it. Did anybody of you ever realize that kodi outputs RGB 888? So what happens to your 10 bits?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-09-08, 10:20)fritsch Wrote: Let's hope when you all bought your hardware according to the data sheet that the software will be able to use it. Did anybody of you ever realize that kodi outputs RGB 888? So what happens to your 10 bits?
10 bits are still used. It's a measure of encoding methodology, not (necessarily) output color depth (it's just that the maximum output color depth is the same as the encoding bit depth). Have you read up on what it means to have 10 bit encoded video? Look at the PDF papers on the x264 download site: http://www.x264.nl/x264_main.php

The above comment sounds like the same misinformed objections as were raised 4 years ago when 10 bit encoding was first added to x264, as well as objections by other Kodi developers in the past (back in the XBMC timeframe). Would have thought developer ignorance about it would have been long past, now.
What I talk about is: a hw spec won't help you if the driver / decoding library does not support it. And the best quality encoding also won't help you, if you cannot play it afterwards on your box of choice.

On Linux there is currently no way libva / libva-driver-intel wise to decode or post process 10 bit content - the infrastructure is not even there. It's fully clear that a encoder using 10 bits does not necessarily mean that output also is 10 bit. It also preserves a lot for 8 bit content, quality wise and improves even file size wise.

Objections by kodi devs:
- Without HW decoding support the PI, cubox or in 4k HEVC 60p that is topic in here, no one can decode that stuff. The future will be HEVC-10 bit (uhd bluray, even dvb-s)
- Also HEVC encoding as of now (besides upcoming nvidia / SKL encoding libs) is unbelievably slow. A factor 20 slower than encoding x264,
- When hi10p was introduced this was a step forward quality wise for sure, reduced file size and better quality. On the negative side: One last 75% of the users being able to watch it, especially the at this time popular ION/ION2/AMD Fusion. Until today hi10p 1080p files with a higher bitrate are not easily watchable on a chromebox or on new Braswells - not talking about the PI, Cubox and so on.

Concerning misinformed objections: It was me that implemented hi10p multithreaded decoding back at that time.

That being said, we are in contact with intel and want to get 10 bit hevc decoding profiles to be ready for this future content. We also want to be able to get the very best quality out of the decoder even with really 10 bit output and here kodi needs adjustments (16 bit surfaces) and a capable display driver / display.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-09-08, 05:08)pinelights Wrote: Didn't want to start a new thread since i saw this so my question is:

For a 4k capable 10 bit HEVC/H.265 HTPC would i be good to go with a spec shown below

Intel Celeron G1840
mITX board with a full PCIex 16 slot
Nvidia GTX 950
4GB DDR3 1600 RAM

Got an i3 with the GTX950 and it eats HEVC 10-bit for breakfast!

But, seems like Kodi is not ready for main10 files yet. Let's wait and see! I play them through MPC-BE.
Nobody on the team has any 10 bit capable nvidia hardware as of now ... so don't expect anything in a too near future ...
(2015-11-18, 00:14)fritsch Wrote: Nobody on the team has any 10 bit capable nvidia hardware as of now ... so don't expect anything in a too near future ...

Thanks fritsch!

Got my GTX950 for 139$ last week. I'm sure you guys will have one pretty soon!
I replied in the other thread. afedching our windows dxva2 dev will implement hevc 10 bit. But he needs someone to test the results. See the dxva testing thread, please for eventual upcoming testing versions.
(2015-11-18, 15:05)fritsch Wrote: I replied in the other thread. afedching our windows dxva2 dev will implement hevc 10 bit. But he needs someone to test the results. See the dxva testing thread, please for eventual upcoming testing versions.

I'll do the testing if you want to. I'm getting into the DSPlayer side of things also. I'll report my testing.
I'm new to 10 bit playback. What hardware do I need to play 10-bit files in true 10 bit mode with Kodi? Does Kodi support it yet or is 10 bit playback added in future?

Graphics card: Nvidia 950 up / Kabylake ?
TV which does support 10 bit per color?
HDMI (-> Deep Color 30 bit)
Any special settings required in Kodi?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skylake: "only ... decode 8-bit HEVC" --> Kaby Lake: "full HEVC/10-bit decode"1