Win Why you not use Lav source code for 4k/h265 ?
I know this issue exists on AMD cards that can't do higher than 2K. Could this also be the issue where the GPU fails at decoding 4K h.264 and then reverts to software decoding but only does so single threaded, where as if DXVA was disabled entirely it would use multi-threaded decoding? It's an issue that so far I've been unable to find any dev interested in dealing with.
The fall back from failed single thread hw decode to multi threaded software decode was
a) - already done in master
b) - not possible because of something

I can't remember which one of a or b it was.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2015-07-08, 13:51)DJ_Izumi Wrote: I know this issue exists on AMD cards that can't do higher than 2K. Could this also be the issue where the GPU fails at decoding 4K h.264 and then reverts to software decoding but only does so single threaded, where as if DXVA was disabled entirely it would use multi-threaded decoding? It's an issue that so far I've been unable to find any dev interested in dealing with.

Why that much speculating? How about a Debug Log ... opening decoders was reworked for v15.

btw. AMD's drivers have been bad and worse for years ... kodi's current Render / decoder was full of workarounds for this utter shit ... DX11 will be a nightmare on AMD, cause they did not care to implement it at all. A fallback which involves higher CPU usage might be needed ... that's sooo sad - but definitely not kodi's job to workaround arround vendor's inabilities ...

Ask those you paid a whole lot of money, you are their customer not ours.

Edit: From our side it should work now: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...g.cpp#L163 (if the hw decoder can't be opened)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
It's been an issue from 12 through 14, and so far when I made threads about it, aside from speculation on unpopular hacks in code to deal with it, not much momentium. Though I figure the lack of 4K content also helped this apathy. Not to mention, Intel and Nvidia being more ontop of it when AMD wasn't ontop of 4K. If it's been changed in 15, I look forward to it once the stable release is out. Smile I'll test out my 4K Video Game High School eps on it, they're about my ownly real 4K content I have.
Try it now! When it's "stable" we can't do anything about it ... backup your profile and see if it works ... it's "your personal" feature, so demanding things and not testing also is no way ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-07-08, 14:42)fritsch Wrote: Try it now! When it's "stable" we can't do anything about it ... backup your profile and see if it works ... it's "your personal" feature, so demanding things and not testing also is no way ...

Fine, I'll try it on my workstation when I get home from work. Tongue I used to be ontop of all the alphas, betas and RC's, but I wanted to get out of that rat race after 14 gave me reliable HEVC and multithreaded Hi10 h.264. The 'DXVA Fail, now using single threaded software decoder' thing was a minor issue as I have ONE season of a show at 4K, a few trailers, and I think ONE movie. I'll test it out and report my findings.
Debug Log - http://pastebin.com/3iEKnraz with 4k file playback.
>>DEBUG: DXVA - failed to find a raw input bitstream
I have nVidia gtx 560 Ti, not AMD.
Yes, Kodi 15 is better that 14.2, I see ffmpeg is now multithreaded now. I check LAV, on this file it can't use DXVA2 or CUDA too.
But Lav is still faster. On this file a get 60% cpu usage on Kodi, 50% on lav x86 and 45% on lav x64. (Intel i7-860).
What about x64 Kodi ?
Quote:16:52:36 T:14056 NOTICE: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::Open() Using codec: H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10
16:52:36 T:14056 DEBUG: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg - open frame threaded with 8 threads
16:52:36 T:14056 DEBUG: CDVDPlayerVideo::CalcDropRequirement - hurry: 0

Yeah - this is a very nice example, that CPU decoding does not scale to infty. You should have 800% load on your system :-) while this poor thingy tries to decode 3840x2160 @ 29.97 fps with your mentioned 100 Mbit/s on the CPU alone ... this for example should work on your hardware: http://distribution.bbb3d.renderfarming....normal.mp4

Besides that it runs "okayish" for 20 seconds - until most likely your Virus Scanner or File index searcher or something else windows likes to do also wants to have some timeslices

Edit: Btw. your file (if I downloaded the right one) works perfectly on a simple chromebox using VAAPI - hihi.
(2015-07-08, 14:42)fritsch Wrote: Try it now! When it's "stable" we can't do anything about it ... backup your profile and see if it works ... it's "your personal" feature, so demanding things and not testing also is no way ...

Okay, it seems it's been fixed. Uses software decoding on my 4K eps and DXVA on my 2K or lower files. Though the splash screen has some ugly orange on it. Tongue
I think the word you are searching was: "Thank you" ...
(2015-07-07, 21:19)djonline Wrote: ffmpeg is not multithreaded have some dxva problem, so i can't play smooth h264 4k (and even h265) on my i7 / gtx-560 (Kodi 14.2, dxva enabled in settings, but no dxva in debug 'O' button), but can easy play it with MPC + Lav filter using DXVA

FFMpeg is multithreaded.
(2015-07-09, 07:11)fritsch Wrote: I think the word you are searching was: "Thank you" ...

Thumbs up!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why you not use Lav source code for 4k/h265 ?1