Windows 10 & Switching to Kodi
I currently use Windows Meda Center on a dedicated laptop (Win7) connected to two SiliconDust HDHomerun Dual ATSC Tuners. This setup has worked for several years. With the impending Windows 10 release, I am assuming that WMC will be kicked to the curb. I have a couple of questions regarding switching to Kobi.

1. Will I be able to use my existing tuners? My budget is almost nil and they appear to be working just fine.

2. I currently get a two week TV schedule (I assume it is included with the WMC). Will I have something similar.

I have really gotten used to not having to pay for what I can get OTA. I don't want to go back to paying Charter.

Thanks for any responses
I suspect that your answers are both "it depends", as Kodi itself doesn't talk to your tuners - that's the job of a PVR (wiki) back end. Kodi is then the front end client, so it can run on the same system or on a different one.

Soooooo.... that's where to start your thought process. Is this the only machine on which you want to watch/record TV? Or do you have other machines (tablets, laptops...) that could share the TV signal? Do you have a spare system, or does your budget mean "I have this machine, that's the end of it"? I'm taking it as a given that you want to stay with Windows.

In the extreme, then, you're simply looking to replace WMC with Kodi and one of the Windows backends on the same laptop, and run it as a standalone system. Have a look at the PVR subforums (http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=167) and look at the Windows back ends (e.g. Next PVR and Argus are the two I know, but there'll be others). Be prepared to try multiple ones until you find one you like.

The short answers are:

1. Almost certainly - HDHR devices seem pretty common.

2. It depends on where this data comes from. If Microsoft provided that EPG feed, maybe not; if xmltv provides 14 days or if your OTA provider does, then yes.

Or perhaps Microsoft will open-source WMC so it can thrive in the wild. You never know...
The answer "it depends" sounds like the answer I give quite often. Smile) I will keep researching and hopefully Windows doesn't crash until I am ready for it to happen.

Thanks for the reply!
I would just recommend holding off on Win10 for a little bit. You'll have a year to get the free update, and I'm sure someone will have a great solution in place by then. I'm updating all my PC's but the main HTPC to win10. The main HTPC runs Win8.1 and does all the recordings of my OTA programing. I think SiliconDust is even working on their own standalone PVR software, but I haven't followed it to much lately.
I thought they were working on a Kodi addon weren't they? Or was that the other cable card tuner company?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 10 & Switching to Kodi0