First HTPC Build
Hi

I am currently looking to build my first HTPC. I'm more of a Mac guy, so I want to know what you think about these components:

Case: Silverstone Grandia GD09B
Motherboard: ASUS A88XM-E FM2+
CPU: AMD A8-7600 Kaveri Quad-Core 3.1GHz
PSU: CORSAIR CX430M 430W ATX12V v2.3 Modular
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

I have a couples of 3.5" HDD to install OpenElec but I maybe put an SSD. The rest of my stuff is on my QNAP server.

I'll be running OpenElec and Kodi to play my MKV remuxes and I want to be sure everythings play smoothly.

Thanks for your feedback Smile
Should work OK...I would just install a decent SSD in the HTPC since you are keeping most of your stuff on your server. I am running a similar system with an AMD A10 APU and it handles anything you can throw at it. Silverstone makes great cases as well.....
@neutronspin

Do you have any heat problem since AMD A10 are 95-100W instead of 65W for the AMD A8?

What do you suggest as a decent SSD?

Thanks again
Hi huguesr, i think that component choices can be quite personal, however from my experience (of building many HTPC's for myself and others, including standard Intel/AMD parts, Rasp Pi's etc), i think it's overkill - but will make for a very nice machine!

Now, dont get me wrong - there are people who will say that just because a device / CPU can play a video file (such as a 1080p H264 video) then that's all you need; however in my experience, that's not the case, and there is alot of value in having a quality CPU available with fast local storage for the whole menu & skin stuff - you dont want a supposedly 'premium' Kodi experience showing lag or delay in showing movie pictures, fanart etc etc.

You would be fine with a dual-core CPU in all honesty, but if you feel that you want Quad-core then also fine.
A dual-core would be sufficient even for H265 video decode, and all menu stuff too.
The problem with adding more CPU power is that it'll just going to consume more electric, produce more heat, and give you a bigger thermal headache to worry about (eg fan noise). I just looked at the A87600 and the A67400K, both are rated at 45W, though i suspect that the dual core will still produce less heat in the real world. Overall though, 45W is still a low enough figure to be fine in that chassis.

An SSD is a very good idea, but again keep things realistic - you will not need a large capacity for Kodi (remember that the Rasp Pi version can install and have a large local library of pictures etc all within a 4GB SD card). A friend of mine runs Kodi on his NUC from USB thumbdrive only - whilst this works (and actually works pretty well), it wouldn't be my choice due to access speeds etc. On my HTPC, I have a cheap 32GB SSD - it was only about £40 at the time, and a quick check at ebuyer shows they are selling a 30GB for £24.. You might think 30GB to be too small to do much with, but remember that for Kodi stuff, it's way way more than you need. I have 2 profiles, and after 3 years of use they only take up 10GB.

Overall though, it looks like it'll be a nice machine. Keep us updated on the build Smile
I would definitely go with an SSD. An SSD combined with Openelec will boot amazingly fast.
Also with that case and if it will be strictly an HTPC, you shouldn't have any hear issues. The TDP is the heat displacement at max load for the CPU, and neither Openelec nor Kodi will push your CPU.
Personally, I don't build fully blown HTPCs anymore unless absolutely necessary (I think they are a thing of the past), not that there is anything wrong with your system though (add SSD for system boot only). However, you do not mention what your requirements are. So assuming you just need a media player...

my .02, since you already have a NAS, you just need a media player, read the sticky thread "Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)".
Others to systems consider not mention there, Zotac Zbox BI320 and the HP Mini Stream. Oh yeah, most under $200 (USA)
Also look here: http://kodi.wiki/view/Devices

I went from a mini HTPC to AFTV and loving it!
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
@MSIC: thanks for the answer, I will look for a dual-core CPU since it will cost less and do the job. I will also put an SSD for a fast boot.

@shabuboy: Most of my media file are 2D movies, mkv remuxes, ripped at 15mpbs with the best audio possible DTS, DTS-HD, TRUE HD 7.1, ATMOS, I also have TV Shows. My concern is that I want everything to play smoothly. I want to build a HTPC because you can change parts when there out of date, instead of changing media player every 2-3 years. I started with a Boxee Box and I'm now with a Popcorn Hour A-400 but I don't like the jukebox manager that come with it, not friendly user at all. I really like the ease of use of Kodi. The goal with my HTPC is to build a long lasting machine, capable of play everything I throw at it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First HTPC Build0