• 296(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
(2017-03-23, 22:01)fritsch Wrote: I exactly run the same versions you do. Same vaapi 1.7.3, same kernel, same xorg drivers. I have no explanation for your problem.
So when you switch with xrandr let's say to limited, to full and back to limited while a video is playing, you see a change in the video brightness? Because I don't. Earlier you stated that vaapi is not aware of X and directly writing out the video, and that actually sounds like "xrandr" might not affect this stream. Or am I getting it wrong?

(2017-03-23, 22:01)fritsch Wrote: Set your projector to Limited, Disable Adjust Refreshrate To match video. Set kodi to limited. Set xrandr to full. Make sure Prefer VAAPI Render Method is enabled.
That's exactly what I set it to, after making some test last night. Brightness is now again set back to 0, but I am missing tiny bits, like black 17 and 18. Looks good so far, but could look a little better..

I will have to extract the gray ramp from the testvideo as a picture, so maybe I can compare the levels and at least figure out, what level the videos are being played out. Hopefully that will work.

What I want to achieve is to be able to measure under X using displaycal ant to use the created 3Dlut in kodi afterwords. Ideally I should be able to control the output level of the grafics card when playing back a video.
@fritsch and other who might be able to help
I just got a Denon X1000 AVR (still have the Denon 1911). For some reason the X1000 doesn't want to show any image if I connect my ASRock N3150DC-ITX box, running latest Kodi and Ubuntu Server 16.04, following the first post here. In addition, there is no image at all even for the boot, so I don't see the ASRock logo, or I can't enter into BIOS/UEFI as I don't have image at all.
Connection directly to the TV it works fine, and over the Denon 1911 AVR also (using the same set of HDMI cables).
I tested the Denon X1000 AVR with RPi2, and it works perfectly fine, so I don't think it is a problem with the X1000. Only the N3150 doesn't want to show any image over the X1000.

Any ideas? Maybe some handshake issue? What could I try? I'm so desperate now.
Removing the AVR everything is fine, right?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Yes, everything fine without AVR. And the Rpi2 with LE works perfectly, same hdmi cables, everything.
I can get image only if I connect the Denon 1911, start N3150 and TV, then replace the AVR to X1000 without turning off N3150. Then X1000 works perfectly, until the N3150 is restarted. Any ideas?

Sent from Tapatalk from my Z5 Compact
@fritsch
Anything I could try to make the AVR work with N3150?

Are you using an extracted edid by any chance?
No, as I can't extract edid, since I can't boot N3150 when connected to AVR as I don't have any image. I was thinking to somehow get the edid but how if there is no image at all?

Extract the TV one and use that with the avr.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-03-27, 13:14)fritsch Wrote: Extract the TV one and use that with the avr.

OK, I will try with TV, following your guide here It is valid for Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS (original Kernel), correct?

I hope this will work, will report back once I managed to check tonight.
Just a quick idea: if I connect the Rpi2 then everything is working perfecty. Can I extract the AVR edid using the Rpi2 and copy over to the N3150 box running Ubuntu Server 16.04? Or that will not work?

You can.
For anyone intrested in adding a kodi plymouth theme, I finally figured out how to get mine working.

Original theme pulled from HERE.
installed theme using this link: http://askubuntu.com/questions/775301/un...u-16-04lts

Upload the kodi-anmiated-theme folder into /usr/share

Modified lines in .plymouth file to work in Ubuntu 16.04 server
Code:
[Plymouth Theme]
Name=KODIbuntu Animated Logo
Description=A theme that features a blank background with an animated KODI logo.
ModuleName=script

[script]
ImageDir=/lib/plymouth/themes/kodibuntu-animated-logo
ScriptFile=/lib/plymouth/themes/kodibuntu-animated-logo/kodibuntu-animated-logo.script

To:
Code:
[Plymouth Theme]
Name=KODIbuntu Animated Logo
Description=A theme that features a blank background with an animated KODI logo.
ModuleName=script

[script]
ImageDir=/usr/share/plymouth/themes/kodibuntu-animated-logo
ScriptFile=/usr/share/plymouth/themes/kodibuntu-animated-logo/kodibuntu-animated-logo.script

to install the theme:
Code:
update-alternatives --install /usr/share/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth default.plymouth /usr/share/plymouth/themes/kodibuntu-animated-logo/kodibuntu-animated-logo.plymouth 100

to chose the theme:
Code:
sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth
sudo update-initramfs -u

to get the theme to show up, I followed directions in this link: http://askubuntu.com/questions/566979/ac...er-install

Quote:Open the file /etc/default/grub in an editor as root. Add the arguments quiet splash to the line

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="some other arguments"

so it will look like

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="some other arguments quiet splash"

Then save, exit and run
Code:
sudo update-grub
to include these changes into the bootloader.

It literally drove me nuts since I had to dump my old Kodibuntu setup since Krypton caused extreme tearing in the GUI using the Ubuntu 14.04 base. This was the last step for me to regaining the "kodibuntu" feel. Hope this helps others get their rigs back to normal.
Hello!

I've just installed Kodi using the howto in the #1 post. Ubuntu 16.04.2 system with HWE kernel and xorg, wsnipex vaapi. Everything seems fine, but when I set "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" option to "Start / Stop", videos became vertically oblated, black bars are appearing on the top and bottom (with real 16:9 content). If I use this xorg.conf, then the black bars getting smaller and moving to the left and right sides. Setting "View mode" to "Stretch to 16:9"(?) seems to be a "fix" for both cases (for real 16:9 content).

mesa, vaapi, dmesg, alsa, id, kodi.log (without xorg.conf, showing just the original issue with refresh rate toggled start-stop/off)
reset display calibrations in kodi
I don't see any resetting option, just the normal calibration. Kodi's UI is fine. My TV's picture size is set to "screen fit".
  • 296(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18