• 297(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
Ok, I've changed every refresh rate's pixel size manually.

The next issue: lots of skipped frames. 1 in every ~5s. With wsnipex/vaapi I had dropped frames too.

Edit.: Just tried LibreELEC. It's playing videos smoothly. No skips, no drops. Unfortunately, it's not an option. I need Ubuntu.

Edit 2.: I've just solved this issue. After purging HWE Xorg and installing the original one, everything seems fine. Kernel remained the HWE one.
(2017-04-06, 16:46)wsnipex Wrote: reset display calibrations in kodi

I'm still interested how to do that. After setting each refresh rate's pixel size/ratio from 0.952 to 1.000 and connected it to an another TV, pixel size became 1.010, so I had to adjust it again. The question is, why isn't this set automatically for the first time, if 1.000 is the normal value and difference is known (0.952 on one of my TV's)?

Your guide is missing something? LibreELEC is fine by default.
No, it does not miss something. Those values are read via edid info, see xrandr --verbose or your Kodi.log.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I looked at the kodi.log. Every refresh rate of 1920x1080 resolution has 0.952476 pixel ratio. Then why was 60 Hz fine (by my eyes and pixel ratio set to 1.000 in Kodi) and why the other ones not (set to 0.952)? Something must be wrong...
See xrandr verbose output. Shit in, shit out. Your TV has different under, overscan setting per refreshrate.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I looked at that too. Almost every resolution and refresh rate has different parameters. So still don't understand, that only the 60 Hz's pixel ratio was fine by default and set to 1.000 in Kodi, and every other refresh rate's ratio was wrong and set to 0.952.

In LibreELEC, every refresh rate's pixel ratio is set to 1.000 and looks fine. Am I wrong, that I suspect some missing or mis-configuration? This is very odd to me.

wsnipex advised me to reset the calibrations. How can I do that?
If you forced a custom calibration within Kodi either remove your guisettings.xml or go to calibration again and press d.

Once again as you don't seem to listen: xrandr --verbose has nothing to do with Kodi at all, but reflects what your TV transmits edid wise.
Thanks! Is the 'press d' solution global or resolution/refresh rate specific?

I'm aware of that. I think you don't get my problem. Please answer this: After fresh install why do I need to calibrate the pixel ratio on Ubuntu and why not on LibreELEC? What's the difference?
drivers, kernel, xorg version plus a whole lot of le specific Kodi patches.
(2016-11-27, 00:23)mattlach Wrote:
(2016-11-27, 00:02)mattlach Wrote:
(2016-11-26, 23:53)mattlach Wrote: Hmm.

I've had this up and running using 16.04 and this guide since the June or so. Has been working beautifully, but I just ran into a problem today.

I had been lazy and not updated the Kodi box for a while, so I did a full update using apt-get (which installed a TON of stuff).

Upon reboot I'm faced with a graphical login screen and an error message "Unable to start session".

Does anyone know what might have been wrong? I'm thinking something in the update might have overwritten one of the config files? (though I was never prompted for this)

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Matt

I think I found the problem.

Something in the update changed the /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service symlink to point to /lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service instead of the /etc/systemd/system/kodi.service as shown in the guide.

Going to reset the symlink back to the where it is in the guide, reboot and see if this fixes it.

Yep, that solved it.

Not sure why this symlink was overwritten but some update did it on all three of my HTPC's.

Luckily it is easy to fix, if anyone else has the problem.

1.) Either SSH in or locally do CTRL-ALT-F1 to go to first text console

2.) Log in using your credentials

3.) issue following command

Code:
sudo ln -sf /etc/systemd/system/kodi.service /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service

Note the added "f", this means "force" and overwrites the incorrect symlink.

4.) Reboot.

After this you should be back in business.

This just happened to me again.

Has anyone else had this happen?

I'm considering adding a entry to my crontab that overwrites this symlink every 15 minutes or so so I don't have to do this again.
Livingroom: 65" Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR-x3300w, Parasound A31, Fronts: RBH SX-6300 Towers, Center: RBH 441-se, Surrounds: RBH 41-se Sub: Dual SVS PC13-Ultra, Source: Custom Kodi Box
Desk: DAC: Schiit Modi Multibit,Headphones: Schiit Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650 & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Speakers: Parasound 275v2-> RBH 41-se & SVS SB12-NSD
Hi Guys, appreciate your support, I am wondering why I can't play 1080p HEVC 10bit, hardware decode indicate inactive.

System:
Windows7/Libreelec/Kodi 7.1
Intel i5, Haswell GPU,

Thanks for your response.
Hardwell has no support for hevc in hardware.
(2017-04-27, 19:29)fritsch Wrote: Hardwell has no support for hevc in hardware.

Wooo, this is quick, thanks, could you suggest which Intel GPU will decode HEVC x265,

Thanks
Apollo lake, kabi lake.
(2017-04-27, 19:53)fritsch Wrote: Apollo lake, kabi lake.

What about skylake, would this decode HEVC 10Bit x265
  • 297(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18