Win Making Rom Collection Browser Portable
Question 
I would like to use KODI portably. To do this, I made a .bat file that opens Kodi.exe with a -p parameter. This creates a new directory in the same folder as kodi.exe called portable_data.

After setting up Rom Collection Browser, a config.xml file appears in

Kodi\portable_data\userdata\addon_data\script.games.rom.collection.browser

There are absolute paths in config.xml to the roms, the emulator, my parseInstruction file, and my description files. Thus, any time the folder is moved, these absolute paths don't work and Kodi puts out an error when I attempt open rom collection browser.

How can I make the paths in config.xml relative so I can move the folder and maintain functionality?

I've tried doing "~\portable_data\roms\snes\info\_parserConfig.xml" but any changes I make to this line causes an error. Thanks!
I went back and took another look at that config.xml file and noticed that another <scraper> line nakedly referenced a file called 06 - maws.xml. I searched for it and found the file in

XBMC\portable_data\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\scraper

So I took my parseInstruction file (called _parserConfig.xml) and placed it in the same folder as that 06 - maws.xml file. Then I changed the line at the bottom of the config.xml file, removing the absolute path and just putting the name of the file. I did the same thing with my info file. Here's the way it looked when I was done:

<Scraper encoding="iso-8859-1" parseInstruction="_parserConfig.xml" source="_SNES.txt" />

When I made this change, the Rom Collection Browser could open fine even when I moved the kodi folder to another place.

There are other absolute paths in the config.xml file, like the path to the roms etc. I still don't know how to fix those...

I think a person would only bump into this issue if they were running kodi in portable mode and scraping locally.
I chanced upon a much better solution:

Create a folder structure like this:

C:\XBMC\LAUNCH_XBMC.bat
C:\XBMC\XBMC <--The 2nd folder is the real xbmc folder

Now, in that bat file write:

@echo off
Rem ****** Map X: to this folder *********
subst X: /D
subst X: "%~dp0."

Rem ****** Launch XBMC ********
start /B x:\XBMC\XBMC.exe -p

This will create a virtual drive called 'X' and the first folder in that drive is your XBMC folder. This way you can make 'absolute references' to virtual folders. ex:

X:\XBMC\roms ...or whatever

props to AnalogKid for his help: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=94181

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Making Rom Collection Browser Portable0