kodi on Rasp Pi - passthrough with true HD stutters but DTS HD works
Hi Everyone:

Running Kodi 14.1 on Raspbian. Just went from using it to view DVD mkv files to viewing Blu Ray mkv files. Enjoy it a lot. However, there are a couple issues. Right now, I'm working on fixing one of them.

Right now, I have audio setup to passthrough to my receiver, which is able to decode all the blu ray audio codecs. All but one of the codecs work smoothly, including DTS-HD. I know that it is passing these through to my receiver b/c the IOS remote control app for KODI that I am using will not allow me to adjust the volume of the player and indicates that audio is being passed through when I try to adjust the volume.

However, when a movie uses the True HD codec, the video pauses for a few seconds about every 50 seconds, and then continues to play perfectly for about 50 seconds prior to another pause. This sequence continues. Also, the audio for some reason is no longer being passed through to my receiver since I am able to adjust the audio of the player using the IOS remote control app for Kodi.

I have created two logs, one with the audio used being 5.1 dolby digital and the other playing true HD (for comparison sake). I can add these if it helps but I'm thinking that, due to my reading, perhaps True HD is not supported. Can someone confirm?

I am rather new to this so any requests for clarification or info is welcome. Thank you.
Pi1 or Pi2?
HD audio passthrough is not supported.
HD audio can be decoded to 8 channel PCM and output over HDMI in a lossless manner, but Pi1 is not powerful enough for this. Pi2 should be possible.
Thanks for your quick reply. It's a model B revision 2 with 512MB and is connected to a USB Hard Drive where the movies are stored.

It's not clear to me why, if HD audio passthrough is not supported, that DTS-HD passthrough work perfectly on my system (it's really awesome!). Any ideas?

Thanks!
(2015-07-16, 01:38)pulper111 Wrote: It's not clear to me why, if HD audio passthrough is not supported, that DTS-HD passthrough work perfectly on my system (it's really awesome!). Any ideas?

Only DTS core works, check on your receiver
Yes, DTS-HD contains a 5.1 channel core which can be passed through.
TrueHD doesn't contain a similar core (although BluRay mandates an identical 5.1 AC3 audio track for players that don't support HD audio).
Thanks both of you for your help. You have answered my question here. However, I will note that when I set my Pi to not passthrough the audio, and play DTS-HD, it plays very well. On the receiver, it indicates it is playing PCM (which goes with what popcornmix said in his first response). it does sound awesome. However, the True HD, in the same situation, stutters. So, I've decided to not enable passthrough, and if the movie has DTS-HD it plays well, and if it is True HD I switch the audio to Dolby Digital 5.1.

Thanks for your help!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
kodi on Rasp Pi - passthrough with true HD stutters but DTS HD works0