Moving from Acer Revo to Android
Hi Guys,

I am after a wee bit of advice. My trusty old Acer 3610 is starting to show its age and ideally I would like a neater solution for Amazon/Youtube/Netflix etc so i am thinking of replacing it with an Android Box. The Acer has Sabnzbd suite installed and acts as a server as it shares 2 Hard drives (a 3tb and a 2tb) that other devices with Kodi all look to.

I Quite fancy the Nexus Media Player but some questions persist.

1. Can android run Sabnzbd Suite in a similar way to the revo where I control everything from a seperate laptop or tablet?

2. The nexus media player lacks a usb slot but could I attach a hub using a micro usb cable and hook up the HDDs to that?

3. Can Android boxes reliably work as servers in the way I have become accustomed too (SMB shares)

4. Are they're any other better choices (Bear in mind I would love to be able to voice control google play music etc and the FireTV does not play nice with Google)

Cheers for any help in advance
(2015-07-18, 20:47)Moose2000 Wrote: Hi Guys,

I am after a wee bit of advice. My trusty old Acer 3610 is starting to show its age and ideally I would like a neater solution for Amazon/Youtube/Netflix etc so i am thinking of replacing it with an Android Box. The Acer has Sabnzbd suite installed and acts as a server as it shares 2 Hard drives (a 3tb and a 2tb) that other devices with Kodi all look to.

I Quite fancy the Nexus Media Player but some questions persist.

1. Can android run Sabnzbd Suite in a similar way to the revo where I control everything from a seperate laptop or tablet?

2. The nexus media player lacks a usb slot but could I attach a hub using a micro usb cable and hook up the HDDs to that?

3. Can Android boxes reliably work as servers in the way I have become accustomed too (SMB shares)

4. Are they're any other better choices (Bear in mind I would love to be able to voice control google play music etc and the FireTV does not play nice with Google)

Cheers for any help in advance

Not an android fan for kodi, but your best bet would be to retain your revo as a server and just use the android boxes for kodi and other media apps.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
1. I think so.

2. Yes. You can even get a neat one that gives you 3/4 USB ports and one ethernet port in a single dongle, if you also want wired ethernet.

3. Yep, they can host samba/smb shares and probably other file sharing protocols as well. I'm not sure how well, but I imagine good enough for sending media to at least one or two other devices on the network, assuming there is a good network connection. It might even be more than that, but I've never put it to the test, so I'm being conservative.

4. For the price, and considering it is the flagship set-top-box for Android TV (which means great support for now and in the future), the Nexus player is a solid buy that I would personally recommend (just as an average guy, and not formally) if you want Kodi and Netflix on the same device.

That being said, nickr has a great suggestion of reusing the Acer as a server, and then using the new Android box as your front-end. It would be a little easier to set up, give you a lot more options, and it's something you already know works as far as those server functions go.
Thanks guys, you have both been more than helpful.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Moving from Acer Revo to Android0