Video stuttering in Kodi 15 for Amlogic SOCs
Read more why we remove amlogic code
https://kodi.tv/kodi-v17-krypton-alpha-2/
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2016-10-24, 12:06)Martijn Wrote:
(2016-10-24, 11:54)Stephen_brig Wrote:
(2016-10-24, 11:49)Martijn Wrote: Strange cause i strongly recall merging some pull-request past week for Android from koying

It seems he is still listed as an active team member.
Still SPMC is a big step forward for Android users.

Stephen

He is still active. Also we now have Android 64bit builds.

Reason why SPMC might be better is we remove all amlogic specific stuff and forced them to follow the specs which they are now trying to do.
I have watched all this develop over the last year and know why Kodi is deprecating the Amlogic support - but that doesn't really help the userspace who are stuck with dysfunctional user experiences as a result. I know that no-one is obliged to support any specific piece of hardware but that means that when someone does take the trouble to keep the millions of user out there on Amlogic boxes happy, we should be grateful for their efforts and point users towards where they can enhance their user experience rather than dropping them off a cliff.

Stephen
AMLogic Android boxes have been on the edge of the cliff for years, they have been given fair warning by Kodi devs.
Ask any Rockchip user what happened to them. The writing has been on the wall for a quite a while now.

Also AMLogic have been forced to get their act together now they are starting to produce SoC's for Google Licensed - Android TV OS boxes like the Xiaomi Mi Box.
If they want to swim in the deep end of the pool with the adults, then they have to start learning to dog paddle properly first.

(2016-10-24, 13:45)Stephen_brig Wrote: I know that no-one is obliged to support any specific piece of hardware but that means that when someone does take the trouble to keep the millions of user out there on Amlogic boxes happy, we should be grateful for their efforts and point users towards where they can enhance their user experience rather than dropping them off a cliff.

Notice how the START HERE sticky thread has only hardware devices in there that get proper Firmware support moving forward to keep on top of important Firmware updates.
I don't know how much more advice you can give some people. There are a lot of Android buyers that just look at Tech Specs and price and that is the primary consideration.

If Android users cannot read the Warning signs by now, here on the Kodi forums, well its their own stupid fault. You have to do some reading and basic research.

At this present point in time, with amcodec being dropped. If users continue to buy dirt cheap Android junk with no after sales support, well they will get exactly what they have purchased - junk.
Either bin it, run over it, send the box back to the seller or upgrade to another, known working, well supported device.

(2016-10-24, 14:14)wrxtasy Wrote: AMLogic Android boxes have been on the edge of the cliff for years, they have been given fair warning by Kodi devs.
Ask any Rockchip user what happened to them. The writing has been on the wall for a quite a while now.

Also AMLogic have been forced to get their act together now they are starting to produce SoC's for Google Licensed - Android TV OS boxes like the Xiaomi Mi Box.
If they want to swim in the deep end of the pool with the adults, then they have to start learning to dog paddle properly first.

(2016-10-24, 13:45)Stephen_brig Wrote: I know that no-one is obliged to support any specific piece of hardware but that means that when someone does take the trouble to keep the millions of user out there on Amlogic boxes happy, we should be grateful for their efforts and point users towards where they can enhance their user experience rather than dropping them off a cliff.

Notice how the START HERE sticky thread has only hardware devices in there that get proper Firmware support moving forward to keep on top of important Firmware updates.
I don't know how much more advice you can give some people. There are a lot of Android buyers that just look at Tech Specs and price and that is the primary consideration.

If Android users cannot read the Warning signs by now, here on the Kodi forums, well its their own stupid fault. You have to do some reading and basic research.

At this present point in time, with amcodec being dropped. If users continue to buy dirt cheap Android junk with no after sales support, well they will get exactly what they have purchased - junk.
Either bin it, run over it, send the box back to the seller or upgrade to another, known working, well supported device.
Or alternatively just use SPMC which avoid all the pissing contests.

Stephen
You must think SPMC makes bad AMLogic Firmware look good. We know Koying is talented, but he is not a miracle worker. Wink

You only need to look at brand new AML Android Marshmallow devices to see that DTS Audio is broken, refresh switching does not work and the bug report goes on and on with features that either are unreliable or simply do not work.

There are now numerous report here on the forum with users having issues with dirt cheap AMLogic Android Marshmallow boxes.

(2016-10-24, 14:45)wrxtasy Wrote: You must think SPMC makes bad AMLogic Firmware look good. We know Koying is talented, but he is not a miracle worker. Wink

You only need to look at brand new AML Android Marshmallow devices to see that DTS Audio is broken, refresh switching does not work and the bug report goes on and on with features that either are unreliable or simply do not work.

There are now numerous report here on the forum with users having issues with dirt cheap AMLogic Android Marshmallow boxes.

As I said, enough with the pissing contest. It works considerably more smoothly than the official Kodi build and thats what matters to me.

Stephen
Bad firmware or not, SPMC does tend to run much better compared to Kodi v16.
There's one serious bug which seems to effect both Kodi and SPMC. If you choose a channel within LiveTV using TVheadend before it has sync'd with the backend it invariably crashes and locks up. SPMC seems to suffer more consistently than Kodi though. So nothing is perfect.
However SPMC copes with all MPEG2 content (the content I have consistently had issues with) much much better than Kodi does. It achieves this without having to make a single adjustment to video settings.

I had attempted to use some of the older SPMC versions when I was trying to get my S812 based box working originally and never found one that was stable enough for everyday use. I hacked Kodi into a usable form instead. However the new versions of SPMC are much more stable and polished.

I run my main system on an old 64bit single core Fujitsu desktop running Lubuntu and it does admirable service as a TVheadend host and a media repository and a Kodi front end. I use a Raspberry Pi 2 in another room and it runs Openelec very well without any serious tinkering to get it up and running. I am very happy with both. I got the Amlogic Android box to service a self contained flat on the cheap. Its the least satisfactory piece of hardware and a mistaken purchase because a pi and case would have been only slightly more expensive. If I was doing it all again I would have gone to Wetek or Minix and loaded Openelec onto it, but the benefit of hindsight is not much use after the event. SPMC is a temporary patch until a better option comes my way.

Stephen
Suggestions for those with Buggy AMLogic Android Firmware. Ditch it completely and run LibreELEC Kodi:

https://forum.libreelec.tv/forum-38.html

(2016-10-27, 07:46)wrxtasy Wrote: Suggestions for those with Buggy AMLogic Android Firmware. Ditch it completely and run LibreELEC Kodi:

https://forum.libreelec.tv/forum-38.html
If a particular box doesn't have multiboot preinstalled then that is an exercise in frustration. Spent a few hours following various instructions to get LibreElec on my box to no joy.

Stephen
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video stuttering in Kodi 15 for Amlogic SOCs1