• 7(current)
Video stuttering in Kodi 15 for Amlogic SOCs
Kodi is just testing a random amstream* file (cannot test them all), but it needs 666 on all, afaik.
(2015-08-13, 14:13)sonofdibnah Wrote: I can confirm that hardware decoding can be restored by using the Universal init-d method described in the autorefresh rate sticky. I had fun creating the script of all the cmods from the github extract linked in an earlier post here. It also took a while to find a file manager that would let me copy the script into system/etc/init-d. ( I used Root Browser). All in all about 4 hours for me to be stretched to the limit of my understanding.

I feel quite pleased with myself for achieving this but sorry for the people who don't view this forum or don't have the understanding needed to follow the hints here. Lots of people will have " duff" boxes with the wrong permissions through no fault of their own. If they update to 15, they'll have jerky HD video and think it is caused by kodi 15.

Any ideas that could make things easier for these people?

Can you provide a bit more detail on what you did? I have no problem following the instructions in the autorefresh rate sticky (http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229310). I think I just need an appropriate script. If it mattters, I'm running a rooted G-Box MX2.
Hello maxbraketorque. All I did was to add the extra chmod lines to the autorefresh rate script. Post 58 on Page 4? of this forum links you to a commit in the github where they are listed in red. You have to remove the first bits so each line you create starts with chmod. I did it with cut and paste on my phone and it was a pain but I'm on holiday and don't have my laptop.

It could be that the line for the amstream* will need modifying to make this perfect. See posts 90 and 91. If so, I'll post the change in about 10 day's time when I'm home and have my laptop.

I take it that you have followed the instructions for auto refresh and already copied a script into etc/init-d. I found that bit the hardest to understand to be honest.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the response. I have not attempted to install the autorefresh script, but I have experience with rooting my phone and the MX2, and I'm mildly familiar Unix and its organization, so I think I'll be ok with that aspect. I'll probably attempt to set up the script today. I'll report back.
Maxtorque, I've noticed that I get a black screen and only audio if I try any fast forwards when watching an HD stream. Spmc 14 doesn't do this, so I think I'll have to edit the script for amstream* to match what Spmc does. As said before, this will be when I get home but if you're using SuperSu Pro you are welcome to beat me to it. You need pro to be able to see the permissions that spmc asks for.

Good luck later.
One question - did you keep the permissions change for /sys/class/display/mode in the auto refresh script?
Yes I kept it.
So what are the android boxes that the devs would recommend?
I'm really glad I've found this thread.

I just bough Beelink S82 plus, which came with Kodi 14.2 pre-installed.
When I upgraded to Kodi 15.2 from play store, I started to get annoying stuttering. Video became unwatchable. It took me few hours of trying to understand what's wrong and searching for firmwares, until I saw this thread.

I have used the init.d method described here, and the the video plays smoothly now.
It's a shame that Beelink doesn't fix their firmware.

It practically saved me 76$!, since the addons I use don't work well on 14.2, they require 15.

For all the poor people that buy these amlogic android boxes, without knowing that they can't run Kodi 15 - please patch Kodi to workaround this issue. Even though it's wrong code-wise.
I'm afraid most people won't find this thread, and they will have no idea how to fix the problem.

And one question: I noticed that the init.d script doesn't run automatically after I restart the device. I have to open Universal init.d app, and only then the script is being applied.
Can I make it happen automatically on device boot?
(2015-08-26, 08:34)Animor Wrote: For all the poor people that buy these amlogic android boxes, without knowing that they can't run Kodi 15 - please patch Kodi to workaround this issue. Even though it's wrong code-wise.
I'm afraid most people won't find this thread, and they will have no idea how to fix the problem.

No. Please ask the firmware producers to include those changes.
Kodi will never again require root to run.
Yes, you have a point there.

I will email Beelink. What should I ask them to do, in specific?
(2015-08-17, 20:08)martin_d Wrote: So what are the android boxes that the devs would recommend?
There is already an AMlogic sticky thread on Android devices that work with Kodi. From companies that will actually provide Firmware support. Now if you really wanted to get you hands dirty you could get an AMlogic device that dual boots to OpenELEC as well. OpenELEC runs very well on AMlogic devices.

Hi! I have a Beelink S82 Smart Plus with Amlogic S812. I managed to modify video mode permissions via terminal and Kodi changes display resolution when a movie starts/ends. However some 1080p movies continues to stutter. You can say it's a Beelink firmware problem but I don't understand why MXPlayer Free can play ALL my 1080p movies flawlessly without resolution change and without working with terminal/init.d. I think if MXPlayer works well with my S82 also Kodi embedded player can work. Are you sure it's only a problem of Beelink's Firmware?
(2015-08-26, 08:34)Animor Wrote: I'm really glad I've found this thread.

I just bough Beelink S82 plus, which came with Kodi 14.2 pre-installed.
When I upgraded to Kodi 15.2 from play store, I started to get annoying stuttering. Video became unwatchable. It took me few hours of trying to understand what's wrong and searching for firmwares, until I saw this thread.

I have used the init.d method described here, and the the video plays smoothly now.
It's a shame that Beelink doesn't fix their firmware.

It practically saved me 76$!, since the addons I use don't work well on 14.2, they require 15.

For all the poor people that buy these amlogic android boxes, without knowing that they can't run Kodi 15 - please patch Kodi to workaround this issue. Even though it's wrong code-wise.

And one question: I noticed that the init.d script doesn't run automatically after I restart the device. I have to open Universal init.d app, and only then the script is being applied.
Can I make it happen automatically on device boot?

@Animor after init.d script ran, you play also 1080p movies smoothly? I also have S82 smart plus and after script ran, I noticed only that Kodi changed resolution and a really small improvement during play, but the stuttering persists. Please let me know about the specifications of the movies you play smoothly and what did you put exactly in the script. Thank you in advance.
Hi, 1080p movies, including heavy ones (15GB) run very well.

This is the script I run:
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
chmod 666 /sys/class/display/mode
chmod 666 /dev/amvideo
chmod 666 /dev/amstream*
chmod 666 /sys/class/video/axis
chmod 666 /sys/class/video/screen_mode
chmod 666 /sys/class/video/disable_video
chmod 666 /sys/class/tsync/pts_pcrscr
chmod 666 /sys/class/audiodsp/digital_raw
chmod 666 /sys/class/ppmgr/ppmgr_3d_mode