Detect audio sink capabilities based on EDID
Hello,
I'm mostly using OpenELEC on x86_64 platform so maybe the issue lies there... Scrap the request if that is the case. I also could not find this requested before but maybe my search-fu is particularly weak today.

Let's say I use the same Kodi box (Intel NUC PC) connected to an HDMI matrix, with both simple TV zones (capable of accepting 2.0 PCM) and a full-fledged AVR-equipped zones (capable of accepting DTS/DD/Dolby TrueHD/DTS-MA etc. up to 7.1 channels). I could be using an HDMI matrix (which, by default, sends a simple 2D video, 2.0 PCM audio EDID to sources and only sends sink's full capabilities when the source is "locked" to a single zone/output) or I could be using some higher-end Onkyo/Integra AVR which also has two independent HDMI outputs (zones), and the second zone is only capable of accepting PCM 2.0.

So there is some use for on-the-fly audio output features/caps changes.

I have tested that this is the way e.g. a Samsung Blu-ray player works - when it's playing to all zones, it's sending only 2.0 PCM audio. When I lock the BDP to an AVR-equipped zone, the matrix sends the full EDID to the BDP and the BDP switches to the best possible audio track/output configuration (e.g. full DTS-MA bitstreaming).

Currently I can (and do) program around this using JSON-RPC commands to turn passthrough on/off and switch between 2.0 and 7.1 configuration.

Am I making any sense? Sure, you could suggest I should just get more Kodi boxes for all zones. You could also read this feature request as: Read audio capabilites from EDID and switch the output settings accordingly on-the-fly so there is less need for manual configuration and Kodi "just works". In more/most cases, anyway.
Very complex request imo. Just a heads up - if you are using passthrough anyway - there is no need to switch from 2.0 to 7.1. Enable/Disable passthrough should be enough even when 2.0 is set.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Yeah I was thinking just switching the passthrough on and off and leaving the channels setting to 2.0 would work in my case. Thank you.
I just asked a question that appears to be similar to your request: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=245666

I have an HDMI matrix (Gefen) that dynamically adjusts EDID and I use this to share my PS4 and other devices among multiple zones. The PS4 reads the EDID and enables 5.1/7.1 passthrough or 2.0 PCM depending on the EDID.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Detect audio sink capabilities based on EDID0