Win Virus
When you download a program of this caliber, directly from the website, you don't expect it to be infected with a virus.

As I ran the file kodi-15.0-Isengard.exe, my AVG anti-virus software alerted me that the file was infected with a virus called Win32/Heur.

I told AVG to protect me from this file. I'm not sure what AVG did, but Kodi says it is installed correctly and AVG "handled" the threat.

It is hard to believe that if your file was infected, that no one has caught it until now; so is there some know issue with Kodi and AVG anti-virus software, that it is giving a false positive detection for this virus?

Has anyone else seen this?

Kodi seems to be working fine, and AVG has no further alerts. I don't know if it quarantined something or if it realized that it was a false alert and just let Kodi finish installing, but it seems to be doing what it is supposed to.

So I guess this is more for piece of mind, but it would be nice to have some understanding of what happened.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
None of the Kodi downloads from our network of mirrors ( http://mirrors.kodi.tv ) has a virus to my knowledge. If you google "win32 heur avg false positive" you'll actually see several cases of false positives, including reports as far back as 2011.
Hot tip, you get what you pay for. AVG Free thinks almost every .exe file is a virus.

I personally recommend these guys: http://www.eset.com/
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
AVG once quarantined the Mantra render engine EXE off the repository of our render farm at work. D:
AVG is one of those scanners that marks allot of false positives,
it even once marked a update of windows as harmfull.
when you rebooted your system it wouldn't boot anymore.
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
To the OP, I would edit your post to remove the first sentence. It doesn't "go" with the rest and it creates a very difference "sense" of where your post is going than where it actually goes.
Just my 2 cents.
Thank you to all who responded.

I've never had a problem with AVG before. No false positives, and it has always worked flawlessly (as far as I could tell anyway); but this is obviously a problem with their software. Kodi seems to be working fine, AVG sees no further problems.

Guess I'll have to find a replacement for the AVG!

I really like the Kodi program; I think it is am amazing piece of work, and I give Kudos to those who have brought it to life. I sincerely meant no offense to any who took it, with my choice of words. I was just relaying the issue in the same way my brain processed it: "really nice program, downloaded from the source, not expecting problems, unexpected virus alert(WTF), maybe the Kodi community can help me understand what happened". I certainly did not intend to point an accusing finger, if that was how it was taken.

I won't remove my first sentence, as suggested, because that is not who I am. I don't hide from my mistakes; but I will apologize again for what in retrospect was a poor choice of words in describing my issue, that was obviously taken in a different way than I had intended.

Anyway, Kodi continues to work fine, AVG is gone as soon as I find a suitable replacement, and I am looking forward to learning about all the cool stuff that Kodi can do.

So as a last question on this thread, while I have the opportunity: any suggestions as to where a NOOB should start, learning about Kodi, add-ons, and streaming video?

I'd really like to learn everything about the program and what it can do. It just keeps impressing me the more I look.

Thanks again.
Best way to start learning: http://kodi.wiki/

Next look should be at: http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_rul...ed_add-ons

as these are often the addons a beginner asks for. So be aware not to ask about anything related to those addons and repos from the link above Wink
Thanks for pointing the way, very much appreciated.
I use Comodo Free Antivirus/Firewall. It can be a little complicated to setup though. I just use the firewall and antivirus, I have the defense, HiPS and sandboxing stuff disabled.
Even AVG thinks there is a virus in its own software =P

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Virus0