Multiple TVH instances
Hi everybody,

I installed the new Version 15 of Kodi and learned that htsp support was disabled in this version, which is a problem for me.
I run 2 different TVHeadEnd servers with different channels in two different countries.
Until now I used the PVR-Backend of TVHeadEnd for one of the servers accessing the channels via the TV Menu option. As I found no way to do it this way for my second TVH server I created a htsp-link in the VIDEO section to get access to the second server.
Unfotunately this is not possible anymore with Version 15.

Is there any way to run a second instance of the PVR-Backend of TVHeadEnd or any other way that I can access both of my THV servers?

Thanks for any help,
Jens
HTSP isn't disabled in Isengard AFAIK - certainly my addon still claims it's HTSP. There was a packaging cock-up in naming the tvheadend PVR addons that has caused some grief - I think I saw a fix go out earlier, but I don't know if it's automatic or not. In essence, you had to install kodi-pvr-hts and that removes/upgrades kodi-pvr-tvheadend-hts. There are threads on this forum about it.

The other way to consider is to route the output of one tvh backend into the other using SAT>IP, and then you'll get a single instance and single channel list. Not something I know anything about other than 'it's possible', though.

EDIT

Hmmm, there are comments elsewhere about HTSP no longer being supported, so I'm not sure... maybe the addons are still using it, but something's been removed from core Kodi...
Hi Yaffle,

thanks for your response. I just downloaded/installed Kodi yesterday, so I guess that I have an uptodate version.

As my servers are not in the same physical location I guess routing SAT>IP should not work and I don't know exactly what that works like. I don't even want to connect to both my THV servers at the same time, but I also don't want to reconfigure the pvr-client each time I want to switch the THV servers. Anybody any more ideas?

Thanks,
Jens
Check that you have version 2.1.16 or later of the tvhaddon. If you've got something earlier, then you need to install the latest version. I'm not 100% that it'll help - maybe not even 50%! - but it's a start, as many people found that they couldn't connect to their tvh backends without forcing this upgrade.

I think SAT>IP would publish the tuner information from one server to the other, but I don't know how the programme stream would flow - whether that would route through the primary or not (I think it would, so likely to be a dead end).
@ProfYaffle he's talking about the built-in HTSP support Kodi had before where you could add a "HTSP directory" and play channels like files. This was removed because no one maintained the code anymore and it originated from before there was a PVR addon for tvheadend.

@TVHeadTrouble SAT>IP can be used over the internet, you just need to forward some ports and tell tvheadend the location of the XML specification file during startup. Another option is to add the channels from one instance as muxes on the other and that way link the two instances together.
@negge - thanks, I knew you'd understand better than me Smile

Assuming that TVHeadTrouble does have the current addon, can you not rename the addon and install it a second time? I'm sure I've seen this reported as working previously, although I've never needed to try it. That would remove the need for the (now dead) HTSP link if it works, yes?
Yes you can do that, it's a matter of:

a) renaming the addon directory
b) renaming the addon in addon.xml
c) renaming the .dll/.so/.dylib and adjusting the name in addon.xml
This is something I have wondered about for a while now. What would happen if you had two PVR addons enabled simultaneously? Either as in this case, where you want to access two different backends running the same software, or in the case of where you're using different software, such as TVHeadEnd for some channels such as FTA satellite, and a Mythbuntu backend for OTA channels. Can you use both simultaneously and would the Kodi EPG display channels from both sources? If so, would the channels be ordered by backend, or all mixed together depending on channel number?

By the way, if it makes any difference, I'm apparently stuck at Helix because AFAIK Isengard isn't available for Ubuntu 12.04 systems, and I have other software on this system besides Kodi that isn't available for Ubuntu 14.04, so I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place right now. Ubuntu 12.04 LTS version is still supported for two more years (until April, 2017), so I rather wish Kodi would run on it until then.
You should be able to compile it yourself, I compiled J**** on Wheezy some time ago.
Hi negge,

thanks for your suggestion of renaming the plugin.

What I did is:

make a copy of the pvr.hts directory in Kodi/addons
rename it e.g. to pvr.htts
edit addon.xml and s&r all occurences of hts->htts and the name-tag Tvheadend HTSP Client->Tvheadend HTSP Client2
edit resources/skins/Confluence/720p/DialogTranscode.xml and s&r all occurences of hts->htts
restart kodi and activate Tvheadend HTSP Client2

Unforunately kodi probably only supports ONE pvr client at the same time. So the last one I activate is the one that "wins" in the "TV" section. If I want to switch between the two I have to deactivete one in SYSTEM/ADDONS.
Is there an easier way to switch between the two, than activate/deactivate?

However this is less painful than always editing the config of the pvr client.

Thanks,
Jens
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=227003
@TVHeadTrouble that's an old bug that never seems to get fixed, no one seems interested in fixing it either unfortunately.
EDIT: I finally found these but am leaving the post up for anyone else who is struggling.

(2015-07-28, 19:48)negge Wrote: Yes you can do that, it's a matter of:

a) renaming the addon directory
b) renaming the addon in addon.xml
c) renaming the .dll/.so/.dylib and adjusting the name in addon.xml

I am totally lost here. What I was trying to do today was connect one instance of Kodi to two different TVHeadEnd backends. I was trying to follow your instructions but couldn't find anything:

a) renaming the addon directory - the only directory I could find associated with the TVHeadEnd PVR addon was the userdata/addon_data/pvr.hts directory, which contains only the settings.xml file. So I made a copy of that and renamed it but that was not sufficient. EDIT: Finally found it at /Applications/Kodi.app/Contents/Resources/Kodi/addons/pvr.hts under OS X, and at /usr/share/kodi/addons/pvr.hts in Linux

b) renaming the addon in addon.xml - I looked all over for this file and found it in relation to other addons, in the addons directory, BUT as far as I can determine the TVHeadEnd addon is nowhere to be seen in that directory. There are addons for metadata, plugins for audio and video, resources, scripts, services, and skins, but nothing at all related to PVR addons. EDIT: It's in the directories mentioned above.

c) renaming the .dll/.so/.dylib and adjusting the name in addon.xml - If I could find the addon.xml file I might have a clues as to which file is being referenced here, but I don't. EDIT: On Linux this is the pvr.hts.so file in the /usr/lib/kodi/addons/pvr.hts directory. Still not sure if you're supposed to rename the directory, the filename, or both, and the file is actually a symlink to another file. In OS X I believe the file is now named /Applications/Kodi.app/Contents/Resources/Kodi/addons/pvr.hts/Kodi_Tvheadend.pvr but don't hold me to that. Obviously, in both cases, if you've made a copy of the addon and renamed it, then you'd need to adjust the above paths accordingly (from pvr.hts to whatever the name of the copied addon is). I'm actually wondering why this step is even necessary because, at least in the addon.xml files I viewed, the path isn't specified so I would expect it to follow the path of the copied/renamed addon, but maybe I'm missing something (probably am). EDIT 2: I have not found this step to be necessary in Kodi Isengard.

I looked in a Kodi install on both an OS X and a Linux box, and couldn't locate the files you speak of on either. Please give me a clue - where are they hiding?

And then there's the other question - can you really connect to two TVHeadEnd backends simultaneously, and will the Live TV section in Kodi show channels from both backends in the channels list and in the guide, and recordings from both backends in the recordings, etc? EDIT: Yes and yes (at least in Kodi Isengard running under Ubuntu Linux). My comments on how I was able to set it up are in this post.
(2015-08-09, 12:34)negge Wrote: @TVHeadTrouble that's an old bug that never seems to get fixed, no one seems interested in fixing it either unfortunately.

This one?

http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/14498

I see you reported it, so I guess you are as in the dark about how to fix it as all us users. Wish someone could fix this because I suspect there are more users than you'd think that might have a need or desire to access two (or more) different backends and have the channels all appear in the channels list. But since I'm not a programmer, I have no idea how monumental a task it might be to fix it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multiple TVH instances0