Linux Kodi videos on RPi2 displays dmesg output and video
The Kodi GUI looks fine on this SDTV, but when I go to play a video, I see some of the dmesg output behind the video. Below is one example, but if I watch a movie that is widescreen (2.35:1.00), I can also see additional output from dmesg below the video too. I can't find a full screen toggle so am looking for suggestions as to why. Thanks.

Running Arch Arm.
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
Man, 160 views and nothing?
Don't think you'll find that many Arch Linux users running Kodi around these parts. Most of us run OpenElec, OSMC/Rasbmc, XBian or Kodi on Raspbian. Lots of us are OpenElec users.

Also - not many of us use the composite output (judging by your screen grab artefacts you're using a PAL or NTSC analogue composite SD connection), most (though not all) of us use HDMI.

Not many replies because you are doing something very few of us do.
For fullscreen, according to the wiki, 'tab' is play fullscreen, while \ is the fullscreen toggle
Derek
You need to disable the console framebuffer before launching Kodi. Most distributions do this for you (e.g. openELEC or OSMC).
Changing the hdmi mode in system/video settings to something different to the mode you booted in will have the side effect of killing the frame buffer.
But really this is a question for the Arch maintainers. Raspbian includes a launching script that handles this. Perhaps Arch does too.
(2015-08-09, 13:13)popcornmix Wrote: You need to disable the console framebuffer before launching Kodi. Most distributions do this for you (e.g. openELEC or OSMC).
Changing the hdmi mode in system/video settings to something different to the mode you booted in will have the side effect of killing the frame buffer.
But really this is a question for the Arch maintainers. Raspbian includes a launching script that handles this. Perhaps Arch does too.

Thank you for the info. If that was true, wouldn't that Kodi GUI be affected as well? It looks perfect. This only happens when playing a video to an SDTV (RCA video out) not an HDTV (HDMI).
Errr... it is true.

Your video isn't full screen - you've got "black bars" above/below the video which really aren't black bars at all, the video is simply centered into to the middle of the display and whatever is in your old console framebuffer then becomes visible wherever there is no video. Normally the console framebuffer isn't splattered with text so the bars normally appear as clear black, but in your case you still have the text in the console and that's why you're seeing it.

The Kodi GUI is full screen and covers the contents of the console framebuffer - it's only when you view content that isn't quite full screen that the console framebuffer is able to reveal itself.

Clear or disable the console framebuffer before starting Kodi, that will be the end of the problem.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I opened a bugreport with Arch Arm: https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs/issues/1228

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi videos on RPi2 displays dmesg output and video1