Win Newbie question: which PVR is the easiest to set up for OTA?
Hi,

Just installed Kodi today after upgrading to Windows 10. I used to use Window Media Center on Windows 7 and was happy with it. I normally record a couple of sport games from OTA TV each week and watch it in replay. Fairly basic usage.

Which one would be the easiest to set up for this purpose?

Thanks
Just to report. I installed NextPVR and followed LifeHacker guid (2 years old). And it worked -- except NextPVR's own front end can't render any video which confused me a bit but Kodi worked nicely.

http://lifehacker.com/5981757/how-to-wat...dia-center
(2015-08-11, 13:45)cheerful Wrote: And it worked -- except NextPVR's own front end can't render any video which confused me a bit but Kodi worked nicely.
It's probably just a case of needing to select decoders on the Settings->Decoders screen.
Nope. The MS decoder does not work. And NextPVR can't seem to recognize the video card codec.
(2015-08-12, 02:37)cheerful Wrote: Nope. The MS decoder does not work.
What MS decoder? They don't include an MPEG2 decoder in Windows 10. Are you talking about the H.264 one? This will only help you if your TV standard is H.264. I'm guessing you're in North America, so you almost certainly need an MPEG2 video decoder. If 'disabled' is your only MPEG-2 option, then this is a sign you need to install another MPEG-2 decoder (like LAV decoders).

If you don't think it's decoder related, I'm happy to take a look at your npvr.log for more clues.

Quote:And NextPVR can't seem to recognize the video card codec.
Your video card does not include a video decoder in it's own right. It still needs a decoder, like those from Cyberlink etc, which pass DXVA packets to the video card for decoding.
Subscribing.

I'd also like to know what the best Over The Air option is for Digital Video Recording without Windows Media Center.

I'd like something that I can schedule a recording, delete watched or old recordings, and have an Extended Programming Guide from 10 feet away (i.e. using a remote).
For light usage I'd say try tvheadend.
I had that up and running in an hour or so with a USB DVB-T2 tuner, NAS storage for recordings and Isengard based OpenElec on an RPi2. Once tvheadend was installed config of the tuner was via a web page interface, although there isn't a 'set-up wizard' so it could be even easier I suppose.

For a powerful free 'wmc replacement' I use mythtv, but it's not simple to set up and takes a fair bit of tweaking. Expect to spend a good weekend reading and fiddling until it works for you, then a couple of hours tweaking say every couple of months to get any new channels recognized. Once you've done that however it's pretty much rock solid as a backend (I use a 0.27.4 fixes version). The new kodi frontend is pretty good too and improving all the time.

If neither of these sound like what you want, there are plenty of other options out there, check out the http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie question: which PVR is the easiest to set up for OTA?0