Adaptive seeking bug crashing Kodi for MPEG2
I run OSMC running Kodi-RC1 Git:Unkown (Compiled Aug 7). I think the issue is unrelated to OSMC.

After the recent update which was pushed to me a few days ago, I apparently have the new adaptive seeking feature, which lets user seek within videos with the arrow buttons left, right with higher increments.

Unfortunately, for all MPEG2 videos, using seeking with the arrow buttons results in either:
  • Sound skipping to the correct position, while image is freezed at original position
  • Kodi becoming totally unresponsive
These problems I had not before. Other video formats still work fine.

How can I disable adaptive seeking for the time being, so MPEG2 video files can still be used?
Do you have the MPEG-2 codec licence?
Thanks for responding.

As far as I know I have no such license.

Why would I need such a license to be able to seek in videos, given the fact that MPEG-2 videos play fine as long as I don't seek? And prior to the latest Kodi update, everything concerning MPEG-2 files, including seeking, worked fine.

Another thing I noted after trying different delay settings for adaptive seeking, is that I actually can seek exactly one time. It's the second time I seek that Kodi stops working. And if I hit "Stop" on my remote and resume the video after that, I can seek successfully again exactly one time.

Would this behavior be consistent with not having a MPEG-2 license? Wouldn't not having a license prevent me from playing the video at all?

Again, thanks for helping.
(2015-08-14, 06:03)jones894 Wrote: As far as I know I have no such license.

Why would I need such a license to be able to seek in videos, given the fact that MPEG-2 videos play fine as long as I don't seek? And prior to the latest Kodi update, everything concerning MPEG-2 files, including seeking, worked fine.

You shouldn't need it, but it would avoid the problem. I was just asking to confirm if your issue matched something I was investigating.
There is a bug with Isengard and software decode where seeking can stall for some files. I'm working on it.
I just received an OSMC upgrade. That appears to have solved the problem. I can now use the Kodi seeking feature successfully for MPEG-2 files.

Thank you for addressing this issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adaptive seeking bug crashing Kodi for MPEG20