Is it normal for new versions of Kodi to take this long to be supported?
Before I ask this, please don't think this is another "How long before we get Kodi 15" question.. I just want to understand something about Kodi on the Pi.

I have recently "upgraded" from a FireTV stick to a Pi2, and have not regretted it for a second.. The Pi2 solution is better in every way...

But I on the FireTV I had Kodi 15, and now on the Pi, I am back to 14. And I miss some of the features.

Its clear that getting a stable version of Kodi 15 is taking some time.. But is this typical of OpenElec? Does it normally take this long? Or is there something about Kodi 15 which has made this particularly tricky

I am just trying to understand whether it generally takes months to get new version of Kodi after they are launched.. Or whether this is a on-off?

It doens't matter either way.. I am still happy with my current solution, even though its v14.. But am just curious to know the process.

Jon
I can say... so far the openelec Raspberry pi software is by far the best kodi distribution platform!
It's take time to make something good into something great. ..

And Popcornmix & Milhouse are doing a good job @ that Smile

@ Popcornmix how else is working on the Pi projects?
If you are impatient you can use the nearly Isengard image.
Not at all impatient.. I am happy to wait.. Just wanted to know whether I should anticipate a similar wait in the future.. My question is purely whether previous releases have taken so long to appear on Pi.. Or whether there was something about Kodi 15 which has caused a delay.
Usually no, it doesn't take this long for openelec to follow kodi releases (in fact I remember one time that openelec got updated to the latest stable kodi before even an official kodi announcement for this release), but now there are some problems that need to be resolved before a stable release.
https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/4157

But, we pi users are lucky/blessed enough to have such wonderful developers as popcornmix that compiled a rpi specific 15.1 openelec release.
Technically it's a test release though, so I'd suggest using it as such, with bug reports, if any.
(2015-08-18, 13:49)host505 Wrote: Usually no, it doesn't take this long for openelec to follow kodi releases (in fact I remember one time that openelec got updated to the latest stable kodi before even an official kodi announcement for this release), but now there are some problems that need to be resolved before a stable release.
https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/4157

But, we pi users are lucky/blessed enough to have such wonderful developers as popcornmix that compiled a rpi specific 15.1 openelec release.
Technically it's a test release though, so I'd suggest using it as such, with bug reports, if any.

So does this mean we are going straight to 15.1 and skipping 15.0?

Jon
Probably, they just updated their GitHub to kodi 15.1.
The plan is for a Beta 4 this weekend. This will be based on 15.1.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Happy days.. Roll on 15.1.. When ever its ready.. I can live with the minor differences for now... 14.0 still blows my mind compared to other streamers that I have used!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is it normal for new versions of Kodi to take this long to be supported?0