need a small player with Kodi
Off on my Hols soon and need a very small player which runs Kodi. Has to be cheap and small, doesn't have to be lighting fast just want to hook it up to tv and attach thumb drive. I have a chromebox but don't want to take that. Any recommendations please
Raspberry Pi 2? ODroid C1/C1+? Small cheap Win 8.1 with Bing tablet with external HDMI output (like the Linx 7?)

The Pi 2/C1/C1+ will need external WiFi adaptors if you need network access, the tablet won't.
+1 for the Raspberry Pi 2, they really are solid / well supported devices.

For something smaller, perhaps consider the MK808b Plus featured under the "I Just Want a Cheap Android Stick That Allows Me to Have Kodi On a TV" category of Pick the Right Kodi Box.
cheers seen a deal for the pi recently must check it out

just checked the Pi for what i need its too expensive
how about the firetv stick?
new updates means your able to attach external storage

theres also something about "Amazon Fire TV gets captive portal access for hotel, dorm and apartment Wi-Fi "
http://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-fire-tv-...-hands-on/

you get a remote control to, though I suspect you having yatse(or equivalent) in mind.
all for £35, much smaller and discrete than pi, and can i ask how much deal for pi

also able to pick it from argos
and you have access to apps like iplayer, netflix etc
not sure if yatse will work without wifi. Was looking at the MK808b as mentioned by oWarchild but that has no remote and same problem with wifi ( i have no real way bar bluetooth of connecting to device unless yatse will work that way

Also seem to be able to pick up the MK808 for around £20

Pi 2 is back up to £50 (thats complete)
you got a remote with the fire tv stick..

Pi2 would give you better picture quality than the firetv stick I believe, isn't the chromebox pretty small?
Without wifi, I'm guessing you would need to buy a USB remote (£5-10) for the MK808b Plus. The Fire TV stick may be the simplest solution.
+1 Fire TV stick or box
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
You can't connect a thumb drive to the FireTV Stick, only the box. Neither work well when you don't have an network/internet connection, even if you just want to use the thumb drive. Better with a Pi2 in that regard.
First get a FLIRC Infra red receiver. This can be used on you Chromebox as well as used with any other Kodi / Android device that has a USB input.

RPI2 if you want a very versatile 1080p Kodi player with great support.

Odroid C1+ if you want a HEVC 1080p running OpenELEC and also with the ability to run Android. You can even dual boot if you use FLIRC.

MINIX NEO X6 if you want a small integrated Android / Kodi and HEVC player.

Wouldn't recommend a FireTV Stick for hotel use unless you know you'll have guaranteed WiFi with multiple device support. Without WiFi the FireTV Stick is next to useless, as you can't connect USB or similar external storage to it for media playback.
The flirc device is quite expensive here in the UK then you have to get a remote so its pushing the cost up for what is a temporary solution. As far as i can see the MK808b at £20 + £5 for remote sounds the best solution for me, thats half the price of the Pi 2
A replacement Fire TV stick remote is $15 and uses bluetooth, and works wonderfully on the MK808B Plus. (Note the B and the Plus. The MK808B and MK808 are very different devices.)

I would do that or just use a Raspberry Pi 2 with a cheap USB RF remote.
One advantage of the Pi 2 is that if you take the right cable, it will even work with an SD CRT if your holiday accommodation is still a bit old school! (The Pi / Pi 2 have composite SD outputs)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
need a small player with Kodi0