windows 10 kodi (exclusively) loses HDMI signal (fixed)
Hello,

First off, I have read the other loss of signal threads, but they did not help, and had slightly different issues, so here is mine.

Background info: KODI\XBMC has worked with this computer and tv for about 4 years now. For the past year with the new HDMI cable that I am currently using. It stopped working after I upgraded to windows 10.

Issue: when I open KODI, my samsung TV says "singal lost" and can't recover even if I alt-tab. My current fix (other than a reboot), is to use a remote desktop connection to force kodi to minimize and the display to refresh. If I re-open KODI (which is running fine in the background), everything goes black again.

What I have tried so far: I did an update to 15.1 (was running 15 when the issue started), playing other videos is not an issue (Netflix, full screen VLC etc.)

It really seems to be tied to KODI being open, I haven't gotten far enough to play a video yet.

Setup
video card: intel i5 on-board video processor
OS: windows 10 pro 64 bit (as of a week ago when the issue started)
Kodi: 15 at first, now 15.1 (can't check build since I can't open it)
monitor\tv: samsung 550 series
Cables: 2 HDMI cables joined with a passive cable joiner (beeb using it for the past year to get through a wall plate cleanly)
Have you upgraded all your drivers?
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
(2015-08-23, 01:06)levi.baker88 Wrote: Have you upgraded all your drivers?

Yes.

All drivers recommended by windows were installed, and Intel's utility could not find any other drivers to update. As far as ASUS chipset upgrades, their automatic scanning web-tool just hangs forever, but as far as I can tell all is in good order (nothing new for the P8P67-M PRO since 2013).
I managed to gain further insight into the issue.

I opened Kodi and pressed \ to remove full screen and used my remote login method to refresh the display. I can now see Kodi in a windowed screen without loosing signal, but Kodi is all messed up.

I can see the the library is refreshing and pressing on keyboard shortcuts can bring up menus, but I get those trails of non-refreshing displays (images of the menus don't clear and their opening animation remains visible, the mouse movement leaves images of the mouse everywhere etc.), but ONLY in Kodi, the rest of my display is still refreshing just fine.

Here is an image
Try the Pin 19 trick http://kodi.wiki/view/Displays#HDMI_pin_19_trick
Can you re-download the latest inf chipset drivers for your motherboard
Go to device manager under system devices
Uninstall current ones and update them again via your downloaded file, may require a reboot in between
Do this with a display not RDP session

HTH
(2015-08-24, 13:30)jjd-uk Wrote: Try the Pin 19 trick http://kodi.wiki/view/Displays#HDMI_pin_19_trick

The issue with this is that windows then never detects that it is connected to the TV, so it never displays anything.

I uninstalled and reinstalled KODI and there is a slight change. Now the windowed version of the app (rather than full screen) is not completely black, it does show a splash screen before crashing.

The crashing actually only happens after I press escape, and the reason I press escape is that ever since version 15 came out (so before I upgraded to windows 10), for some reason Kodi opens to a blank blue screen and I have to press escape to make the menu appear.

Anyways, I did some research on the older (but then benign) bug of the screen being blank and the solution going back a few versions was to delete guisettings.xml in the AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata folder. It worked... Seems like it was corrupted or maybe some old setting from a prior version was not agreeing with the newer version.

Solution: delete guisettings.xml in the AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata folder

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
windows 10 kodi (exclusively) loses HDMI signal (fixed)1