Help deciding
Good afternoon. First time user...first time caller. I have some questions and just trying to decide which to get. I am coming from a Roku 3 and as much as we like it, we may need something a little more. I am looking for a device that will be awesome for KODI and all that it has to offer. Now we don't have cable and watch Netflix, Hulu + and Amazon, but I know there is so much more.

1) I was going to get the shield tv, but for the cost, I don't need a gaming system (I know it can do more, but if this is what everyone suggests) as I have a ps3/ps4 for that.

2) Next we have the Nexus Player. Now I was thinking about getting this, but then will need to get a micro usb to ethernet as I don't want to do wifi for that.

3) I was looking at Best Buy and I can get this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.j...&keys=keysDell I3050 and just didn't know if that would be the best for kodi or it might as it's a pc.

4) Then of course there is Amazon with lots of Kodi devices. The Tonbux looks good and that remote is pretty sweet. lol

I don't really like the firesticks or any other sticks as I am replacing the Roku 3 box. I want something that will be able to do 3d if possible as I am sure there is some channels with 3d content. I also don't want to build. So any suggestions or maybe a reason to not get one of my suggestions or if you have a good suggestion as well. Looking to decide pretty quickly.
If you want HD paid streaming services like Netflix you will be limited to Hardware with closed secured Firmware. This limits your options to Google Nexus Player / Amazon Fire TV / Stick / NVIDIA Shield.

Best bit of advice - Don't try and do everything with one device as there are too many compromises, like Netflix limited to 720x480p resolution on a lot of cheap AMlogic / ARM / Open Architecture devices.

Kodi runs far far better when using OpenELEC / OSMC on a device like the RPi2 or OpenELEC on a ODROID-C1+ It's blazingly fast on a SSD equipped Chromebox, or any of the Chromebox siblings.

Any device that can display 1080p can also do 3D. The RPi2 can do 3D MVC, which is full 1080p 3D. Not Half SBS 3D like everything else.

The other option is to run Windows on a Chromebox clone like the HP Mini Stream and then you get the paid HD Apps like Netflix etc, plus Kodi runs better than using it on an Android device.

I just want something simple and cost effective. I guess I am trying to figure out of the choices I listed, which is the the best.
(2015-08-24, 06:19)The Walking Dead Wrote: I just want something simple and cost effective. I guess I am trying to figure out of the choices I listed, which is the the best.
Hard to make a recommendation when you've preemptively eliminated the best options via the choices you've listed.

The best / no compromise solution under $200 is an Amazon FireTV stick coupled with a Chromebox, IMO.
Totally agree, and if you need to refine it a bit further with some additional playback requirements.
Keep the Fire TV Stick, and then consider:

RPi2 for 3D MVC playback
or
ODROID C1+ for 1080p HEVC hardware decoded video playback.

both running OpenELEC.

3D MVC:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiview_Video_Coding

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help deciding0