Android kodi addons and user data update app
Hi guys, I have recently started to sell android tv boxes. I have created my own custom build for kodi and I want it to be available on all of my devices that I provide. Currently I am deleting the original user data and addon data files that come as standard with kodi and then replacing them with those from my custom build. This works great but I have had a problem once before where Kodi has reverted back to its original settings. What I want to know is, is there an app I can download onto the android tv box that I can permanently host my builds addon data and user data where the customer can click on a "install custom build", and "restore gui settings" button and it will update it on Kodi, so that if Kodi reverts back to original settings, or a customer accidentally deletes something they can revert back to my original settings.

I dont want any remote support function at this stage where I can update the app, I just want piece of mind for my customers that they will never lose the custom build on the android tv box.

I have something called xbmc kodi updater which comes pre installed from my supplier which does exactly this feature, but with different addons and gui to what I want so I know its possible I just dont know how its done!

Any help?!

Thanks
You are not allowed to create custom builds for your "customers" while still using the Kodi name. You MUST fully replace "kodi" which your own brand.
Tell your supplier that he is violating our trademark.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Understood, the build I use does have its own name, and when sold it is never mis-sold as Kodi but under our brand name. I wanted to be similar the likes of Munster Gadgets, who have an app which you can download which uploads the MGTV build to your Kodi Media Center. I just don't know how to do it, I was looking for developer knowledge or a developer who I can pay to create it.

I shall pass on your concerns to my supplier.

thank you
and you want help from us to create the same crap build full of piracy junk even though you name it different? Like hell we will.

Sorry but I have little to no faith in nearly 99,9999% of every one who wants to create their own builds. They only want to make a quick buck and sell boxes full of crap to ignorant users and leave them hanging if there's a problem.
Only a handful might have the best interest and provides a clean install. So in that case there shouldn't even a reason to rebrand at all as you will simply provide the vanilla Kodi version like we provide.
I can only agree with you, that might be what most people do, but what faith do you have in Kodi if thats what you think everyone uses it for? And if you do believe thats what everyone uses it for then I cant understand why you would feel so angry about someone asking for help with it.

It just so happens that I am not particularly tech savvy and had to spend a lot of time on youtube.com in order to figure out how exactly Kodi works. Having now finished my install with images in the background using CCM Helix to customise the tabs and using only the Official Kodi Repo and having interest from friends a family with the Live TV PVR that comes from Kodi, they have rooms in their house where they cannot connect to an aerial port.

My operation is very small, I am not an ebay power seller, or saturday market stall Del boy, I just know from my own experience that once I turned on the box and Kodi had reverted back to its original settings and I had to reinstall the build again. I have since made a back up but I cant just start sending round a memory stick to friends I have sold a box to if/when kodi reverts back to its original settings.

I have not once mentioned anything to do with "piracy junk", and quite frankly I don't care for your opinion on what makes a good build, I just like the way I have designed Kodi and so do my friends and family enough to reward me for the time and effort I put in to understand it. I'm sure there are some people somewhere with expert knowledge on the subject but I am not one of them, and neither were the people I sold to.

If you believe the only real market value for Kodi is for piracy then I feel sorry for you. Its a brilliant media center with great value and potential without the need for illegal activity and for people like me, my family and many others who may not be able or are simply to lazy to set up Kodi there will always be a market for an already well made build that allows for an easy transition from their already existing set top boxes and yes thats where I am looking to "make a quick buck".

I have no interest what so ever in the content of builds from creators such as Gandelf and MGTV but I saw that they had made it possible to restore kodi from each individual system which had Kodi media center installed. Which is all I wanted to know how to do. So if my dad calls me one day and says in the unfortunate and unlikely scenario that Kodi does revert back to original settings I can say, "not to worry go the home screen, click this button and then restore back to previous settings".

Thank you for your continued if not judgmental, support in the matter.
Here you go
http://addons.kodi.tv/show/script.xbmcbackup/
That might just do the trick, thank you.

I must say as a member of Team Kodi, I found your method of communicating rather vindictive. I understand that these forums are probably filled with tech gurus who have serious problems and solutions for stuff well above my pay grade, however, I am a user and promoter of Kodi and all of its potential I am not trying to take over the world and create a new satellite TV conglomerate, or bring piracy to the masses for the sake of a few bucks. Just a normal guy who started out selling a box to his mum for the spare room because she wouldn't have a clue how to do it and there wasn't an aerial port in there.

If I would have known that this forum was only for people with the knowledge of Bill Gates, I wouldn't have posted my question and certainly had no idea of the bombardment of abuse I would receive for something so simple and innocent.

I will continue to use Koid in the future as I think it's brilliant but as for the level of service provided from yourself I think I stick to my youtube videos. Not even one mention of an apology or realization that you made a bad judgement call. I guess you have to put up with a**holes frequently using Kodi for illegitimate purposes, but that's no excuse to tar everyone with the same brush.

Thank you
Well sorry but indeed the amount off ass holes abusing kodi has risen to such a level that you get such response when asking how to make custom builds and pointing to such ass holes as example of what you want.

The ones that don't want to abuse kodi get harmed in this way.
Do know I will help any one who has no technical knowledge but I will not be nice to those who destroy what kodi is meant to be, a fully functional media center and not a piracy heaven.
Fair point well made.

Blame Google I suppose, type in custom build Kodi into a search engine and its all it brings up. TotalXbmc and other such places. Searched twitter and it sent me to a competition a few weeks back where MGTV won the best Kodi custom build app and so there the only examples I had to go on.

I've probably sold 10 Android TV Boxes so far with the possibility to sell a few more and all because of the PVR functionality really. Already have reasonable prices just wanted a way to have lasting customer service!
Well at least good to hear that some have only good intentions. At least gives back some hope Smile
99,99999% does still leave some of us.

Now if you could just tell me how to get all the pay per view channels for free that would be great... just kidding!

Just having a look at the backup addon now, if I change the name of the file which looks like a time date stamp to something else will Kodi still recognize and find it as a backup file when i click restore?
best ask here
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=129499
thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
kodi addons and user data update app0