Apple TV 4
(2015-10-31, 06:26)wrxtasy Wrote: Apple TV OS is locked down tighter than a Swiss Bank Vault. I seriously doubt the ATV4 will ever be jailbroken as Apple have already proven for years now with the ATV3.
Consequently Kodi, even after it is ported for ATV OS compatibility will not be an easy install for the average Kodi user. Users will have to get their hands dirty and self compile, sign and install Kodi and actually learn something in the process.

Apple TV has always been difficult to jailbreak in the past because there's been no app store, it's always been simpler for ipads/iphones since the app store can be used to take advantage of exploits. With TVOS now containing an app store then similar expliots can be tried that work on ipad/iphone, obviously there are no guarantees a jailbreak will happen, but it's now in the realms of perhaps being possible again.
Not so Smile

iOS jailbreak's depend on getting jailbreakers interested enough to put in the effort. In the past, there was only one person that was interested and his attention moved on after the atv2 jailbreak. There was just zero interest in doing an atv3 jailbreak.

That might change with the new AppleTV since TVOS is much closer to how iOS works. But someone must be attracted to the new shiny enough to do the work.
Sorry for the misinformation then as there's no doubting your knowledge on this. I based my post on something I remember reading that the app store made it easier to load exploits, and the lack of app store on ATV made it more difficult to jailbreak.
np, no harm, no foul Smile
I think what jjd-uk was referring to here was about a couple of months ago, the iOS app store ended up with some dodgy apps on it at one stage because iOS developers in where else, but China decided it was a good idea to downloading XCode from faster Non Apple servers than they could from Apple HQ.

These dodgy servers and the Xcode contained within was infected with some suspicious code. How iOS Apps developed with this compromised XCode got past Apple's - App Store screening process we will never know.
The loophole was quickly closed when this was discovered and dodgy iOS apps erased and even more stringent checks put in place.

It definitely wasn't that.

It was something about the app store making it easier to load the tools to discover a vulnerability that can be used to create a jailbreak.

Perhaps it's not that big a deal for someone who knows exactly what their doing, & it sounds like no one with that skill set has taken a recent interest in ATV. No doubt there's less interest in ATV since the raise of other cheap ARM based devices such as all the Android boxes plus stuff like RPi.
Unfortunately cheap ARM Android based devices are just that, cheap and you get what you pay for. Crappy support, crap firmware and they tend to die after about a year.
(2015-09-11, 01:19)User 213102 Wrote: The A8 chip that is currently in the Apple TV is capable of playing 4k video, and the HDMI port on the Apple TV is HDMI 1.4, which is capable of delivering 4k at 30hz. The hardware is likely there to achieve 4k, its the lack of 4k content on iTunes that can compete with Netflix or Amazon streaming services that is likely preventing Apple from saying that the Apple TV supports 4k at this time.

My guess is that sometime in the next 8 months Apple will announce streaming support for 4k through iTunes and that the current Apple TV now has that functionality. HDMI 2.0 is only really necessary if you're trying to watch sports or play games, neither of which are going to be possible on any streaming box.

No way ATV 4 will announce 4K support. That will come with a new refresh. They wont do it for a few reasons. It wont be able to support any of the streaming services 4K support like Netflix etc because Netflix etc all require HDCP 2.2 which the ATV 4 does not support. If you announce 4K on a product that cant support Netflix 4K then whats the point??
The Nexus Player I own works better than the brand nee windows PC I have running kodi and my outdated apple TV 2

I wouldn't use one of the cheap Chinese boxes but at 50 dollars or less the nexus player is king right now and runs super smooth

If apple allowed kodi on the app store they would sell millions of these.
Hi,

Will subtitle download be available?
Would anyone care to comment on the deinterlacing ability of the ATV4? I'm seriously considering purchasing one, especially considering the release of MrMC in the TVOS app store.

Peace
(2015-12-18, 02:09)slot47 Wrote: Would anyone care to comment on the deinterlacing ability of the ATV4? I'm seriously considering purchasing one, especially considering the release of MrMC in the TVOS app store.

Peace

Comments are about MrMC :

At the moment you have a basic Bob (but to 50 or 60Hz so you get full motion) for native interlaced content (you need Bob Inverted for European DVB stuff in my experience). It's OK - but it's not as good as a YADIF 2x, MADI or MCDI. AIUI all video decoding is done in CPU with no hardware acceleration (because the CPU in the ATV4 is a pretty impressive beast)

Beware there is absolutely no support for DVDs - either in ISO or VIDEO_TS format - in MrMC though, nor any support for Blu-ray ISOs AIUI, nor is there any support for plugins other than PVR clients. Both of these are because they would fail App Store approval.

It's a great piece of work - if it does what you need it to. For people with a large library of MKV-wrapped content it will be brilliant. (MPEG2 mkvs sourced from DVDs and H264 mkvs sourced from Blu-rays play fine). It's also fine for people who use a PVR client if they aren't too fussy about deinterlacing quality. (It's certainly watchable and does full frame rate deinterlacing)

Also - the current ATV4 firmware doesn't support 1080p24 or 23.976 output - so you are stuck with 3:2 on 23.976 content. There is no automatica frame rate support as Apps can't control the output refresh rate - though Siri makes it quite easy to get to settings to change it from 50 to 60Hz and back. (My ATV 4 lives at 50Hz usually as I use it for TV catch-up apps from the BBC, NRK, DR, SVT, ZDF etc., as well as for playing music, so I don't really use the 60Hz option)

I have no experience of other deinterlacing apps in the ATV 4 App Store.

If you are in the UK - iPlayer is there on the ATV4 - and it supports the new 720p50 stuff the BBC are encoding, so you get full motion on shows shot native interlaced. (The BBC deinterlace to 720p50 prior to streaming)
Bit the too tempting juicy Apple did we Noggin ?

(2015-12-18, 11:29)wrxtasy Wrote: Bit the too tempting juicy Apple did we Noggin ?

I've had ATVs since the ATV1. I use them primarily as music players - but the catch-up TV integration in the ATV4 is very good indeed. The DR, NRK, SVT, ZDF and BBC iPlayer apps are great. The DR app in particular is beautifully designed. I've yet to see a better Catch Up TV / Live TV viewing app.

I watch a lot of non-English language TV (I like foreign language learning), and whilst there are Kodi add-ons for most of the services I mention, the Apple TV 4 solutions have a much nicer user experience and interface IMO.

And my life is pretty Apple-based (Macbook Pro is my main laptop and I like the iPhone more than Android phones) so I guess that it isn't a surprise that I like the Apple TV 4. And for just listening to my music library it works well (though I think I still prefer the ATV3 for music navigation)
I'm hearing ya, two ATV1's here and all Apple gear in the house, bit of an AMLogic invasion at the moment tho Wink

Apple really nail the GUI and usability factors. Their human to machine interfaces are outstanding on their products, shows what you can do when you Employ some of the best Software Engineers in the world and set strict Frameworks for App development to use those common interfaces. Smile

I just want to play with that very interesting remote control they have on the ATV4.
I might wait for a 4K version, as Santa is delivering a new TV.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV 42