TESTERS WANTED: new touchscreen keymap for tablets and phones (requires v16 Jarvis)
Information 
What this is:

This thread is for getting some feedback about a new default touchscreen.xml keymap (wiki) that I would like to propose. The current keymap is very lacking and really hasn't been adjusted to work well in all areas of Kodi. Hopefully this will fix that. In addition to what I already have, I'd like to get feedback on what else people would like to see added by default.

https://github.com/NedScott/xbmc/blob/Ne...screen.xml

You can compare it to the current touchscreen.xml here: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...screen.xml

Using the keymap:
This requires a nightly build (wiki) of v16 "Jarvis". This should work for both iOS and Android.

Just download this link directly from your tablet browser to your keymaps folder, located inside the userdata folder (wiki) (click for the location for your OS) using a file browser outside of Kodi using this link: touchscreen.xml

Changes include:
(Changes for this new keymap are listed in green text)

Global:
  • Three finger swipe up - Switch Player, for use with UPnP targets/casting/beaming. See UPnP (wiki) for more info. (iOS only)
  • Three finger swipe down - Player Controls, which allow playback control even if you are not in fullscreen. Useful for the above UPnP target playing/casting/beaming, but can also be used for any background playback. (iOS only)
  • Tap-and-hold - Context menu or Back
  • Long press - Context menu or Back
  • Two finger swipe left - Back

File manager:
  • Tap - select
  • Swipe left or right on an item - Highlight

Full screen video:
  • Swipe left - skip step (wiki) back
  • Swipe right - skip step (wiki) forward
  • Swipe up - Next chapter or +10m
  • Swipe down - Previous chapter or -10m
  • Two finger swipe left - Small step back (-7 seconds)
  • Two finger swipe up - Skip next, if in a playlist or "play next automatically" is enabled
  • Two finger swipe down - Skip previous, if in a playlist or "play next automatically" is enabled
  • Long press - Exit fullscreen playback (playback continues in background)
  • Two finger tap - Playlist window

Full screen live TV/radio playback (PVR):
  • Swipe left - skip step (wiki) back (if supported by backend)
  • Swipe right - skip step (wiki) forward (if supported by backend)
  • Swipe up - Channel up
  • Swipe down - Channel down

Full screen music playback (visualization):
  • Swipe left - skip step (wiki) back
  • Swipe right - skip step (wiki) forward
  • Swipe up - Skip next
  • Swipe down - Skip previous
  • Two finger swipe up - Skip next
  • Two finger swipe down - Skip previous

Slide show:
  • Pinch-to-zoom - zoom
  • Pan (sliding around while a single finger is on screen) - pan around a zoomed-in picture
  • Rotate (two fingers in a rotate gesture) - rotate picture
  • Two finger swipe right - Previous picture
  • Two finger swipe left - Next picture

Available gestures:
  • One finger tap
  • Two finger tap
  • Single long press
  • Pinch with two fingers (zoom)
  • Twist with two fingers (rotate)

(three finger swipes are iOS only for the time being)
  • (one, two, or three) swipe from right to left
  • (one, two, or three) swipe from left to right
  • (one, two, or three) swipe from down to up
  • (one, two, or three) swipe from up to down

Available windows and actions:
  • See keymap (wiki) for actions, built-ins, and windows. Windows can be opened as an action, and they can also dictate specific actions that only happen within that window.
Well, right away I found out that CodecInfo is still too easy to accidentally trigger ;)

EDIT: changed.
Something else I'm not sure of is the swipe controls for photos. Heck, even for video. Swiping to the right means starting on the left and going right, but on tablets things are inverted so it feels like you are pulling/moving objects. In that sense, it might make more sense to go SwipeRight to go back and SwipeLeft to go forward.

EDIT: changed

Another interesting note is that having swipe right/left actions can mess up panning when you are zoomed into a photo (do a pinch-to-zoom gesture on a picture). Not always, though, which is weird. Normally you can zoom in and then drag the image around to focus the zoomed-in portion of the photo, but sometimes it triggers next picture or previous picture.
For easy reference, I posted the available gestures in the first post. I don't think two-finger-swipe works in any direction except left, for some reason?
(2015-09-13, 01:47)Ned Scott Wrote: For easy reference, I posted the available gestures in the first post. I don't think two-finger-swipe works in any direction except left, for some reason?

Looks like Memphiz has a fix :D

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8047
Hi,
can we use it also on windows (tablets)?
Thank you,
sdf
(2015-09-14, 10:12)sdfg Wrote: Hi,
can we use it also on windows (tablets)?
Thank you,
sdf

In theory, but I think multi-touch isn't working. I'll give it a try on my Windows tablet.
I made some minor adjustments. I only have a tiny 3.5 inch Android burner phone that probably doesn't have more than two finger input, so I can't tell if three finger swipes work on Android. Anyone with a nicer Android touch device want to confirm that three-finger swipes are working?

Also, no touch input seems to be able to trigger the new sidebar menu action. While this isn't important for Confluence or Re-touched, it would be nice to trigger that for other skins, allowing such skins to be "more" touch compatible without additional effort from the skinners. A minor detail, but still strange.
Big changes to keymap. See first post.
Or not. The doubletap stuff doesn't seem to work on iOS or Android. I'll have to ask the devs about that.
no double tap on ios - double tap recognition would slow down / delay other recognizers - won't add it...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
None for any OS, it seems? There were references to it on github, but I guess it didn't get used. Oh well.
Keymap adjusted.
@Memphiz any interest in adding <tap pointers="3"> to compliment three finger swipe? :)

If not, no worries.
Nice project Ned. Maybe you could add XML-comments to touchscreen.xml for iOS-only features like this:
Code:
// iOS-only

Only one place to convert that data to information. Will test this later on Win10.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TESTERS WANTED: new touchscreen keymap for tablets and phones (requires v16 Jarvis)1