Recommended system (requirements)
Kodibuntu or OpenELEC does not need a powerful CPU to run just Kodi.
NUC's are complete overkill, and really are a waste of money just to run Kodi.
A capable VPU/GPU is far more important along with decent Linux drivers and API's. This last bit is where AMD falls over.

No one complains about the 1.4Ghz dual core 2955U Celeron found in the very popular Chromebox lacking in speed for Kodi use. In fact it flies with its included speedy SSD.

A 4 core 1.6Ghz N3150 is more than up to the task to run resolutions up to 4K HEVC / Kodi. Even the N3000 will do just fine.

well, the gpu is faster in the n3700. if the n3700 wont be available i might just buy the n3150 but if it is available I will spend the extra to get the 3700
as at the time of my last post until now no system met my requirements...

Now with the 6th generation of Intel i5 NUCs with Iris graphics...
I think those are based on the skylake architecture and should therefore be able to decode x265 in hardware and meet the requirements I posted in the first thread.

Can anyone confirm or refute my assumption?
Yes up to 4K @ 30Hz x265 hardware decode with Intel Skylake microarchitecture.
If you ask fritsch the same question over in this thread he will give you another confirmation answer:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955

Why not Amlogic S812 or even s805 box (like MXQ, M8, M8S etc... ) with openelec, for a fraction of the cost?
Just for info realise that Skylake has no HDMI 2.0 output so you are limited to 4K @ 30Hz video output unless you buy a seperate DVI > HDMI Adapter. 4K movies will be 23.976fps so come in under the 30Hz HDMI 1.4a limitation.

(2015-12-11, 11:22)rykios Wrote: Why not Amlogic S812 or even s805 box (like MXQ, M8, M8S etc... ) with openelec, for a fraction of the cost?
arent those android based? I want to run Kodibuntu on them as the box will serve a few other related purposes as well.

(2015-12-11, 11:53)wrxtasy Wrote: Just for info realise that Skylake has no HDMI 2.0 output so you are limited to 4K @ 30Hz video output unless you buy a seperate DVI > HDMI Adapter. 4K movies will be 23.976fps so come in under the 30Hz HDMI 1.4a limitation.
not sure what this limitation would mean for me...
no 4k 3D stuff (dont some of them alternate the left/right frame, therefore cutting fps in half?)? or just nothing above 30fps?
what kind of content would I not be able to view with that and is there even something out there that would not have this limitation?
You will be sweet then with no 4K or 3D requirements just yet. The HDMI1.4a connector on Skylake will be fine, as I said if you change your mind down the track you can always purchase an adapter later on anyway to display 4K at 60Hz.

1080p 3D SBS (side by side) and HOU (top / bottom) is just standard stuff any 1080p media player can do.
3D MVC (i.e. full 1080p resolution 3D) may be a limitation on Intel Gear running Ubuntu. hdmv and Kodi Intel devs will know more than me.

(2015-12-11, 17:52)rykios Wrote: Why not Amlogic S812 or even s805 box (like MXQ, M8, M8S etc... ) with openelec, for a fraction of the cost?
(2015-12-11, 11:22)Questionario Wrote: arent those android based? I want to run Kodibuntu on them as the box will serve a few other related purposes as well.

Same here, i need to run tvheadend server at the box with dvb-t and sat receivers, i also want to connect optical r/w via USB
And i am also seeking what to buy
Yes, they are made for Android, BUT, there are people making linux "ROMs" like Openelec. Recently found out there is such a linux based ROM available for T8 box, which is S812 box and also has SATA controller (supporting a disk up to 2 tera i think)
Prices, around the area of 100 bucks... much less for S805 (if you dont need 4K decode)
Where is the catch? Support, what else... If it works, all good, if not then what?
It can get complicated with AMLogic devices...

See this thread, as I don't want to Hijack this one:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2184801

Really interest in buying ASRock Beebox N3150 to replace my old ASRock ION 330HT.

The only reason i would be upgrading is for x265 playback.

Anyone here has it and can play x265 videos without stutter or lag?

Thanks in advance.
(2016-04-20, 10:28)rossoneri711 Wrote: Really interest in buying ASRock Beebox N3150 to replace my old ASRock ION 330HT.

The only reason i would be upgrading is for x265 playback.

Anyone here has it and can play x265 videos without stutter or lag?

Thanks in advance.

Beware talking about 'x265' videos.

There are two flavours of H265/HEVC content - 8bit and 10bit. The Beebox will only hardware decode 8-bit, and will fall back to software decode for 10-bit. This means that the CPU is then needed, and you may find the N3150 isn't powerful enough.

If all your H265 content is 8-bit you should be fine.

(NB : x265 is one encoder used to create H265 content, not the codec itself. The codec is H265/HEVC. You won't see x265 listed on spec sheets, but will see H265/HEVC. HEVC and H265 are two names for the same thing, just as AVC and H264 are.)
Hey,

Thanks for the detailed response. How can i know if a file is 8bit or 10bit?

(2016-04-20, 12:44)rossoneri711 Wrote: Hey,

Thanks for the detailed response. How can i know if a file is 8bit or 10bit?

Media Info usually provides a lot of information, or you can run it through ffmpeg without any output settings if you are comfortable at the command line. MediaInfo usually tells me what you need to know though.
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

You can then cut and paste the info from the tree view into a <Code> tag section here.
Hey,

Think i got it. Is it Bit-depth under Video? it says 8-bit Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommended system (requirements)1