Disable EDL auto-skipping
Hi,

I'm making the change from MP to Kodi. While Kodi in many ways is far superior to MP so far, TV handling is one area where it's still not as mature as MP, i'm hoping to understand if these are issues that can be worked around or are limitations of Kodi currently.

The biggest issue in my household is ad skipping. Kodi appears to automatically skip the ads as defined in the EDL file. I use MCEBuddy to process all TV which uses comskip, to both mark the chapters and create an EDL file. Unfortunately i've never managed to get ad detection 100% "correct", especially for the beginning and ends of TV shows, so the auto-skipping feature drives us crazy. I've ended up having to delete all the EDL files for the moment.

In MP it was easy to look at the visual cues on the video timeline to see where it "thought" the ads were, and then decide to use either a chapter skip to the next marker, or a time skip of X seconds or so to manually find the program start point.

So my main question is - can this auto-skip feature be disabled? I'd like to leave the EDL files there for other media players to use that may not support MP4 chapters.

And secondly, is there any intent on the roadmap to put in visual indicators on the video timeline?

And lastly - when we start watching a recording that is still being recorded, and "catch up" to the live broadcast point, the video stops rather than gracefully turning into a live-tv view. Is this expected behavior?

Cheers
(2015-09-19, 11:38)Griffo Wrote: So my main question is - can this auto-skip feature be disabled? I'd like to leave the EDL files there for other media players to use that may not support MP4 chapters.

In native NextPVR, you can set the player to automatically skip based upon EDL data, but then toggle (disable/re-enable) during playback of a specific recording by pressing '999' on the remote. (Granted, the '999' keyboard sequence isn't at all intuitive.) I would like to have the same functionality (ability to toggle automatic EDL skipping during playback) with the Kodi player for those times when the EDL file is "messed up."
(2015-09-19, 11:38)Griffo Wrote: And secondly, is there any intent on the roadmap to put in visual indicators on the video timeline?

I don't believe that there is any built-in way to get the visual indicators for the commercial skip sections (or chapter point markers) displayed in the Kodi player's timeline. I had hoped when I read this thread http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=208206 a while ago (especially see post #4), that support would show up. But, alas, it does not seem to have happened. The proof of concept code does still seem to be in github at https://github.com/fetzerch/xbmc/commit/...c4a70907df, but does not appear to have been updated since 2014.
This would be so nice if this ever happens :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Disable EDL auto-skipping1