Trying to build an offline-only media box. Questions.
Here's the situation.

My brother has no cable. None. Probably won't net any for awhile because money is squirrly. Similarly they have no internet. So I was wanting to do something nice for them and build a box that will let them play everything they've got.

Was thinking 'OK fine Raspberry Pi 2 with an attached hard drive in a nice-ish case so it doesn't look like a hacked together mess.Then I started to wonder what else can be done.

They have no internet, but given I will be building and doing set up I have Internet and can do any media scraping and the like.

Big thing is 'what else can I do other than just 'here is a big list of your movies'?

I'd considered setting up psudolive TV along with stuff ripped off youtube, vimeo, and the like they might enjoy for a more TV-like experience but I dunno.

I'm not even sure if the Pi2 is the right option here. Halfway want to put a DVD drive in so any media not ripped is doable.

Any general things that you folks can chip in?

Right now using makemkv+vidcorder to convert everything to mp4 to conserve drive space.

Just a case of I know there's probably more than I'm seeing, but I don't know what.
Small point but when you have finished and scraped everything using your internet connection I suggest exporting the library information and images to sit with the media files so that if he hoses Kodi you can rebuild the info and images without an internet connection.
If there is no internet,there will have to be a large storage for the media. A NUC with a 1TB 2.5 hard drive would be more practical. With USB inputs you could use a portable USB storage to add. It all depends on the money.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Trying to build an offline-only media box. Questions.0