OpenVPN support?
Since this is a 2-part issue, I thought I'd start a new thread rather than reply to the existing Millhouse thread.

I've just started tinkering with Kodi on my new Raspberry Pi I bought yesterday. I was reading some things online that suggested I might need to use a VPN service to be able to access some streaming content. That's fine with me, as my seedbox I have has a VPN app I had installed months ago. The thing is, it looks like the latest builds of OpenELEC don't include OpenVPN support anymore. This was remedied from another thread, where I was told I needed to install an unofficial "beta" build of OpenELEC from Millhouse. I did that, and it worked great. Problem solved. Then the part 2 of my issue came up. I couldn't use it with Emby. While going through support with people over at Emby, it was determined that my problem was because of how the latest Millhouse build stores is sources.xml or something. To remedy that, I had to install the latest OFFICIAL build of OpenELEC. So now Emby works great, but I don't have my OpenVPN.

Has anybody been in a similar situation and came to a solution? I want to have both if possible. If not, I'd rather have the Emby functionality over OpenVPN. Is there a 3rd option to use the latest build and add in OpenVPN as a plugin or something?
(2015-09-29, 04:32)hansolo77 Wrote: The thing is, it looks like the latest builds of OpenELEC don't include OpenVPN support anymore.

OpenVPN is no longer supported officially, but it's still available, even in my builds.

OpenVPN has been moved to the "Unofficial OpenELEC Add-ons" repository. You install this repository from within the "OpenELEC Mediacenter OS Add-ons" repository. Once the Unofficial repo is installed, you can install OpenVPN.

(2015-09-29, 04:32)hansolo77 Wrote: it was determined that my problem was because of how the latest Millhouse build stores is sources.xml or something.

When using my builds, sources.xml is stored just as it would be with any other version of Kodi. I'm not aware of any recent format changes to sources.xml, but if Emby doesn't work with my latest builds because it can't process sources.xml then either Emby isn't compatible with Kodi 16, or it's a bug in Emby.

Or perhaps the problem isn't with sources.xml at all (ie. it's the "or something").

(2015-09-29, 04:32)hansolo77 Wrote: Has anybody been in a similar situation and came to a solution? I want to have both if possible. If not, I'd rather have the Emby functionality over OpenVPN. Is there a 3rd option to use the latest build and add in OpenVPN as a plugin or something?

If you want Emby to work with latest Kodi 16 builds you'll need to get the Emby developers to explain in detail what the problem is, as it's going to affect them on every platform eventually.

Although I suspect the problem is the fact that Emby alters the structure of the Kodi database and the latest Kodi 16 builds are using a new videodb schema (v97), which may not yet be supported by Emby. Frankly, this is going to be a long term problem for Emby (and their users), particularly those users testing development builds - your only real choice is to stick with official releases as then you're guaranteed support by Emby.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
That's what my conclusion was as well. I'm satisfied with using the latest official builds until Emby is updated with the newest incarnation. They said they would fully support v16 once it's officially released.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenVPN support?0