Bug Kodi stretches VOBSUB subtitles horizontally on TV
Bug 
When playing 4:3 aspect ratio videos on my Samsung widescreen TV, Kodi stretches VOBSUB format subtitles horizontally. The effect is that letters appear wider than they should, making them harder to read.

It looks like Kodi stretches 4:3 subtitles to 16:9 while displaying the video in the correct 4:3 aspect ratio. (As you know VOBSUB subtitles consist of bitmap images embedded in a video file.)

Interestingly, when running a Kodi installation on a Windows computer, I could not recreate the problem. SRT subtitles are not affected.
  • Video format used: For instance H264 MPEG-4 AVC encoded videos
  • Kodi version: 15.2
  • System running Kodi: Raspberry Pi 2 Model B running OSMC 2015.09-1 and connected to the TV with HDMI-CEC
Do you have a sample file that shows the problem?
As an aside, you should upgrade to 2015.09-2 to fix a performance regression. You can do so by going to My OSMC -> Updater -> Manual controls -> Check for update now

Sam
Here's an image that depicts the problem:

• The left TV shows the desired subtitle rendering, which is what you get if you "burn" the subtitle into the 4:3 video or watch the video file in players like VLC.
  • The right TV depicts how Kodi incorrectly renders 4:3 VOBSUB subtitles.

I hope this helps you to identify the bug.
Thanks for your assistance.
Do you have a sample file that shows the problem?
For recreating the problem, any 4:3 video file with VOBSUB subtitles will do. Unfortunately I cannot upload video files at this time.

Have you been unable to recreate the problem?
Yeah so I found this thread by Google and it seems the OP never submitted an example. If I upload say a 1min example of a 4:3 MKV with Vob Subs, is there still a dev who's interested in looking at this? Tongue
(2016-09-10, 03:20)DJ_Izumi Wrote: Yeah so I found this thread by Google and it seems the OP never submitted an example. If I upload say a 1min example of a 4:3 MKV with Vob Subs, is there still a dev who's interested in looking at this? Tongue

As always, it's better to upload your sample/log/etc first, then see what happens. Developers will work on it if it interests them and/or they have an idea what might be wrong. They may not want to commit themselves before understanding what is going on etc.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2016-09-10, 03:26)Milhouse Wrote:
(2016-09-10, 03:20)DJ_Izumi Wrote: Yeah so I found this thread by Google and it seems the OP never submitted an example. If I upload say a 1min example of a 4:3 MKV with Vob Subs, is there still a dev who's interested in looking at this? Tongue

As always, it's better to upload your sample/log/etc first, then see what happens. Developers will work on it if it interests them and/or they have an idea what might be wrong. They may not want to commit themselves before understanding what is going on etc.

So then a much more practical example: I own DVDs that are 4:3 and have subtitles, and I could rip a short length of them. What would be the necessary length to upload to give enough for a dev to look at/work with but to not violate any kind of piracy rules on the forum?
(2016-09-10, 04:31)DJ_Izumi Wrote: So then a much more practical example: I own DVDs that are 4:3 and have subtitles, and I could rip a short length of them. What would be the necessary length to upload to give enough for a dev to look at/work with but to not violate any kind of piracy rules on the forum?

This forum considers sample files of 1 or 2 minutes to be fine under the "fair use" doctine for purposes of reproducing bugs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi stretches VOBSUB subtitles horizontally on TV0