auto-discover DLNA sources
Why can't kodi skip the separate steps of discovering/adding upnp/DLNA sources to each client before being able to browse/play the content? Seems like a huge waste of time compared to the way other players simply discover the currently available servers on the network on the fly, and particularly annoying for temporary servers like firing up the video server on someone's phone or testing plex vs. serviio vs. emby (etc) for DLNA services.
You can just add "upnp://" as a source directly in the path, before hitting "browse", and that will generate a generic UPnP lookup. On my new installs I add:

upnp://

smb://

and sometimes zerconf://

and that creates generic directories for each of those, which searches the network and discovers the specific servers.

There was also some talk about adding a generic "network sources" folder that would do the same thing, but in a single directory, by default.
Thanks - that works nicely. Did I miss it in the documentation? I'd still prefer for it to be built-in, though, probably with the services as separate entries and showing up in the 'Files' page with the number of devices discovered for each.
Something similar is already in the New Media import branch. On startup, or whenever available it pops up a notification, New Media Provider [Name] available. For now there is a button in the event log for each provider which takes you to it's config page.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2081326

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
auto-discover DLNA sources0