How do you rate your music?
As the title says, how do you rate your music? Are there any interfaces that make it easy to rate lots of different tracks?

I've found with XBMC/Kodi, it's only really convenient to rate a single track at a time - the one that's playing. This makes it very time-consuming to rate a large amount of music. (e.g. if you get a new album that you like, you'll have to start the album, rate the song, skip to the next track, rate the song, etc)

Indeed, when I first started using XBMC, I wrote a python script (probably broken now) to take my playcount ratings from foobar2000 and output SQL statements that i could then issue against my database, so my ratings would turn up in XBMC. Since I don't use foobar2000 much any more, I'm now wondering if there's any music management web frontends, skins, plugins, or external programs that'd help me with this, which is why I'm posting this thread.
Well in the future it might be possible to rate on http://www.theaudiodb.com/ and let it get synced down to your Kodi database.
I can only speak for myself, but that's the last thing I'd want! Ratings of individual songs are highly individual and subjective, and so I don't really see how that'd be of any benefit. It's the opposite of ratings on IMDB, where the crowd consensus *can* actually be of some value.
(2015-10-22, 15:43)ventolin Wrote: I can only speak for myself, but that's the last thing I'd want! Ratings of individual songs are highly individual and subjective, and so I don't really see how that'd be of any benefit. It's the opposite of ratings on IMDB, where the crowd consensus *can* actually be of some value.

Yeah, and we're talking about you setting YOUR rating on that website, when your logged in and download a kodi plugin. Login there and it will sync the ratings to Kodi.
At the moment I rate track by track interactively, which is painfully slow and inefficient, especially if, like me, you have a large music collection.

(2015-10-22, 15:40)Razze Wrote: Well in the future it might be possible to rate on http://www.theaudiodb.com/ and let it get synced down to your Kodi database.

Another possibillity (and a better one for last.fm users) would be the abillity to sync loved tracks (and perhaps play count) from tracks you've scrobbled on last.fm. The data is already there, after all.

For the moment though, I'd also welcome any other suggestions as to how to do this efficiently.
Kodi x64 build (18.1 Git:20190224-nogitfound)
Arch Linux, KDE Plasma, kernel: Linux x86 64-bit version 4.19.27-1-lts

(2015-10-19, 17:59)ventolin Wrote: As the title says, how do you rate your music? Are there any interfaces that make it easy to rate lots of different tracks?

I use Media Monkey to manage my music collection, and it's only after it's passed through that that I put it in the relevant folder that Kodi scans. Essentially I only rate songs I like. I have spent a LOT of time in the past rating my music, and now I only have to rate new stuff as it comes in. This ratings are store in the MP3 tags so they get passed to Kodi on scan.

Then I have various smart playlists set up. So, when I get a great new Muse album and rate 5 songs 3 stars or more (for the sake of argument), they automatically get pushed into the relevant playlists(s).

If you're starting afresh, I'd recommend just rating the stuff you know you like first, then start listing/scanning through the stuff you're not sure about. You often find great tracks that you've forgotten about. Others you can just skip. I have a genre called 'Horse Sh*t' which I reserve specifically for Leona Lewis. My wife won't let me delete it.
(2015-10-27, 13:34)JesusOnEez Wrote:
(2015-10-19, 17:59)ventolin Wrote: As the title says, how do you rate your music? Are there any interfaces that make it easy to rate lots of different tracks?

I use Media Monkey to manage my music collection, and it's only after it's passed through that that I put it in the relevant folder that Kodi scans. Essentially I only rate songs I like. I have spent a LOT of time in the past rating my music, and now I only have to rate new stuff as it comes in. This ratings are store in the MP3 tags so they get passed to Kodi on scan.

Then I have various smart playlists set up. So, when I get a great new Muse album and rate 5 songs 3 stars or more (for the sake of argument), they automatically get pushed into the relevant playlists(s).

If you're starting afresh, I'd recommend just rating the stuff you know you like first, then start listing/scanning through the stuff you're not sure about. You often find great tracks that you've forgotten about. Others you can just skip. I have a genre called 'Horse Sh*t' which I reserve specifically for Leona Lewis. My wife won't let me delete it.

I'd rather not go this route - in my opinion, the actual MP3 metadata (artist, album, genre, tracknumber, etc) shouldn't be mixed with an individual's personal metadata (ratings, playcount, etc). This metadata belongs to the audio player.
(2015-10-22, 17:06)Razze Wrote:
(2015-10-22, 15:43)ventolin Wrote: I can only speak for myself, but that's the last thing I'd want! Ratings of individual songs are highly individual and subjective, and so I don't really see how that'd be of any benefit. It's the opposite of ratings on IMDB, where the crowd consensus *can* actually be of some value.

Yeah, and we're talking about you setting YOUR rating on that website, when your logged in and download a kodi plugin. Login there and it will sync the ratings to Kodi.

That's really promising, finally a way to store the ratings.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do you rate your music?0