Low Volume?
I am using Kodi v15.0 and OpenELEC (Milhouse v0701 [latest Isengard Build that works with the Aeon MQ6 public release skin]). I have my Pi2 connected through HDMI to a Denon AVR AMP.

Whenever I play any kind of media, the sound is very low. I have the volume at max (0.0db) and amplification at max (60db). I have my AVR AMP set to +60 (typically for BluRay disk playback I have this set around 30's) as well. I have experimented with various settings, such as passthrough or not, and it made no difference. I've also found that if I set the amplification back to 0db, the volume is still the same, so to me the amplification setting has no affect. Is there some SSH command or something I can try to increase the volume? With everything pretty much at max (besides the AMP [I'm not about to blow it out and the speakers!]) why is my volume still so low?
By any chance does your Denon AVR have volume settings for each input. I'm pretty sure my AVR allows me to reduce or boost the volume of the sources independently on each HDMI input. Maybe try a different HDMI port.

Also is this true for all audio formats? DTS, DD, stereo MP3?
Most of the streaming videos I watch are in AAC 2.0, but this has also happened with DTS and Dolby Digital, as well as various MP3 encoded music CDs. I'm not sure if my receiver has different volume levels for inputs or not. I'll have to check.
YOU
ARE
A
G E N I U S!!!

I found the online manual for my receiver and found the setting for assisting the pre-input volume for that input. Cranked it up to +12db and now everything is good. I actually had to turn it down. The problem with turning it down though, I now have a hard time getting the skin sounds. But I'd rather hear the video audio over the skin audio. Thanks a lot!
Glad you got it figured out. If your AVR has the volume headroom to do so I would recommend lowering the pre-input for for other sources and turning up the master volume more to achieve the same output level rather than boosting the input your RPi is on to achieve a similar output as your other sources. I always try to reduce the input signal, especially before it is amplified, rather the boost it because you are much more likely to have issues with clipping. To summarize, I would lower all your other inputs to -6db and change the RPi from +12db to +6db. You will have the exact same result overall by turning up the master volume slightly more than you usually do but will reduce the risk of sending a clipped signal to your speakers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Low Volume?0