Sony TV auto light dimming issue
Hi guys!

I recently bought a Sony Bravia KD55X8505C, and partly to be able to use Kodi on it Smile

I've got it set up with network shares and it's working really well but I have a really annoying issue;

The TV has a setting for automatically dimming the brightness of the screen depending on surrounding light and I guess also how bright the scene on the TV is.

This is a really annoying setting that basically makes the TV switch brightness seemingly randomly, ruining awesome movies like Gravity for example, and I have turned it off on my TV.

My problem is that it doesn't work with Kodi.

It works everywhere else in the TV, like when watching Youtube videos, Digital TV, Apple TV or even streaming movies from my NAS to the built in video player, but when streaming the same movies through Kodi the brightness of the TV switches from dim to bright a lot and it's driving me crazy.

I've been in contact with Sony and they tested it in their tech support TV's and they said it seems to be a Kodi issue.

Does any of you guys have any solution for this? Any way to maintain the TV's functionality for switching off this auto dimming?

Or perhaps this is something the tech team needs to have a look at for future releases?

FYI, I have tried every other setting in the TV such as auto contrast off, and all other auto things off as well. Even total reset of the TV's settings..

Hope someone can help because I really love Kodi and want to be able to continue using it Smile

Thanks guys!
I have the exact same issue. Using the Sony XBR49X830C or a.k.a x8300c (Asia) series Android TV. Turning the TV auto-dimming on/off doesn't resolve the issue. There should be an option in Kodi to disable the auto-dimming function.
One weird thing I noticed;

It seems this happens much more often in movies than in tv-series.

Not sure if that helps anyone figure this out, but perhaps worth mentioning Smile
Doesn't anyone have any idea how to fix this thing?

I know I'm not the only one experiencing this, and we really need some help with this..
care to try a nightly version?
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/android/arm/
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Absolutely. What's the difference between Isengard 15.2 and these?
way of which we push video to the hardware.
It also makes your TV do UHD playback which wasn't possible on 15.2
Other Sony owners have confirmed it working really well.
Seems to work! Thank you so much Smile
Can't get Pulsar to work though. As soon as I enable it Kodi says it crashed. Anything you can help out with Martijn?
Nope

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sony TV auto light dimming issue0