Running Kodi on a Kangaroo
Not the kind that run around in Australia, but the kind that can fit in your pocket. Namely these:
http://www.maximumpc.com/kangaroo-pc-put...et-for-99/

Has anyone tried loading Kodi up on one? How is the performance compared to a Raspberry Pi 2 with OpenELEC?
Also very interested in this.
I got one and will be trying OpenELEC on it soon... will post back once I get the results
Any luck on this necro? The form factor is pretty slick.
So, I have OpenELEC 6.0.0 running on this thing (only one problem with the audio subsystem so far... see below). The installation process is (more or less) as follows:
  • Boot into Windows 10 and complete the configuration steps, which comes pre-installed on the Kangaroo
  • On the Windows 10 menu, search for "advanced startup options" (see: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-...-10-a.html)
  • You have to select the "UEFI Firmware Settings" option
  • Once on the BIOS, you have to disable the "Secure Boot" option on the firmware (which will allow you to boot something else than Windows 10)
  • Using the same "advanced startup configuration" in Windows 10, get into the BIOS again and change the boot device order (I think you have to insert an SD card or USB device for the UEFI to detect... I decided to make the SD card slot the default, and Window 10 the secondary). Note that you can boot into a different device from this Windows 10 screen on the UEFI, but this will be reverted back the next time you boot... so if you want to boot always to the SD card then you have to change the configuration on the BIOS. Now you are ready to boot from SD or USB.
  • The OE installer for x86 is different from the one for the RPi: On the RPi, you just flash the SD card and that's it. On the Generic build (x86), what you flash into the SD is the installer itself, hence you'll need two SD cards (or any combination of SD or USB) to complete the process. What I did was to boot the installer from the SD slow, and then use a USB adapter to mount a second SD card
  • Once you boot into the installer, you can follow the regular process for installing OE... Be careful not to select the Kangaroo's internal drive as the target for the installation. Although you could do this, and don't recommend it since you would have lost access to Windows 10 in that way (which works pretty well actually...), and I don't think you could get it installed again (I haven't checked to see if there is a recovery partition...). In any case, it's your choice.
  • Once you have the installed SD card, swap it to the SD card slot and you are good to go!

The only problem I have is with audio: The "Audio Output" configuration tab doesn't allow me to select the proper audio device... the configuration page actually hangs up when I try to navigate it, which hints some sort of problem with the audio subsystem. That said, this might be an OE thing only... I haven't tried running Kodi directly on Ubuntu or similar. I'll capture a debug log and send it to the OE folks.
@necronomicon,
Can you please post more specific performance results about running KODI on this device (both windows version and OE), I am very much interested in getting one, only need to figure a way to ship it to Europe.
Thanks for the update. I'm guessing that since you can't properly configure the audio, you're getting no sound when watching content?

How zippy does the menu navigation feel? It sounds like you've got a Pi (or Pi2?) running OE as well - how does the kangaroo compare in terms of performance?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Running Kodi on a Kangaroo0