Remix Mini
My Remix Mini from the Kickstarter project has shipped, should have it in about a week. Have no idea how it will play with Kodi. Will follow up with my review when I receive it.
Remix Mini
(2015-10-28, 03:18)clarkss12 Wrote: My Remix Mini from the Kickstarter project has shipped, should have it in about a week. Have no idea how it will play with Kodi. Will follow up with my review when I receive it.
Remix Mini

Sadly the Remix Mini is based on an Allwinner SoC. Allwinner have lousy Open Source driver support for their video acceleration systems and a history of broken promises and GPL violations, so Kodi on it is unlikely to be stellar. There are some third party builds knocking around (some use code from Android ISTR) that you may find work - but they aren't mainline builds ISTR.

Pity - as the Remix Mini looks like a nice bit of hardware design, and the Allwinner SoCs are very low cost.
I can't make a judgement until I receive it and have time to play with it.
Supposedly they're working on a more high-end version as well (better cpu, more ram)...
(2015-10-29, 14:57)ProsjektX Wrote: Supposedly they're working on a more high-end version as well (better cpu, more ram)...

Hahaha, NOW you tell me....
Well I purchased a Remix Mini (really just to play around with it). I successfully installed KODI and watched a few of my own MKV 1080p based movies off my SMB based NAS. It is working fine. Playback and the picture looked good to my eyes on 50" LCD. The only thing that does not appear to be working correctly in KODI is audio pass-through on the device (HDMI out to receiver -> receiver to TV), which appears to be a Remix Mini hardware issue as all my other Android and non-Android based devices work fine. (Side note: I unfortunately collect and try way too many devices of this nature) All I get is a horrendous clicking / screeching sound when pass-through is enabled in KODI and I play a video.

It is pretty cool device. I have tested Netflix, YouTube, Xfinity, Chrome browsing and a few others. I am using a wireless keyboard with a track pad and I also successfully paired a fire tv remote to it (bluetooth). Both worked fine although outside of Kodi, certain apps will need the keyboard/mouse combo.

It seems like if someone is looking to have more of PC based Android experience on single low powered device and wants to run several apps for pretty low cost, it's a decent option for general TV viewing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remix Mini0