Slow skip on recorded tv
Hi all,

I'm running Kodi with Nextpvr as the backend.

When I playback my recorded tv shows and use a 30 second skip for the adverts.
The skip is slow and laggy, and I always have to wait for the video to catch up before pressing skip again.

I don't have this problem with my ripped DVD's, skipping is fast and instantaneous.

Thanks for any help.
Skipping from a network stream is always gonna be slower than skipping in some file you're playing locally.

How long is a skip taking?
(2015-10-28, 18:20)sub3 Wrote: Skipping from a network stream is always gonna be slower than skipping in some file you're playing locally.

How long is a skip taking?

Sorry, I should have said......All files are local, which is why I can't work out why my recorded files play back with the slow skip
compared to my ripped DVD's.

I would say there is about half a second between skips, but it does run into trouble if I skip too quickly, the pause is longer before it catches up.

Fast Forward is the same.......x32 on my rips whips through, but the recorded tv, starts to fall behind with freeze frames and stutters.

Thanks
Half a second isn't that bad. From Kodi's perspective, it's still playing a network stream though, even if the server is on the same machine. It's doing it over http, and this is definitely slower than directly accessing a file.
(2015-10-28, 18:57)sub3 Wrote: Half a second isn't that bad. From Kodi's perspective, it's still playing a network stream though, even if the server is on the same machine. It's doing it over http, and this is definitely slower than directly accessing a file.

Ahhhhh, I get it now, it didn't occur to me that nextpvr was acting as a server to Kodi, even though everything was local.

With this in mind, I added the folder that contains my recorded TV as a new video source to Kodi.

So now I'm playing the video directly from within Kodi.........but I'm still getting the same slow skip and FF response, now I am confused.

Is it the way Kodi plays back .ts files, or is this just a container for the video file and shouldn't make any difference?

Thanks for taking the time to help.
You could be right. Maybe Kodi is a bit slower with .ts files in general.

Some other file types have convenient indexes, letting the play know exactly when in the file to skip to. ts files don't have this, so there is a few extra steps in finding the correct location in the file.
(2015-10-28, 22:15)sub3 Wrote: You could be right. Maybe Kodi is a bit slower with .ts files in general.

No comskip playback with Kodi is typically seamless on my ts files, even on lower end client.

Martin
There is a setting in the System>Video>Playback section called skip delay which solved this issue for me. I set it to None.
Just checked my skip delay and it's already set to none.

Still getting this skip lag on .ts files.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow skip on recorded tv0