5.1 Audio?
Hey guys,

I am still unsure how to run 5.1 audio for files. Most of my content is 2.0, but some is 5.1. I am running a FireTV that has a DTS pass through button, which I assume is 5.1 audio? Anyway the FireTV runs through a HDMI into my TV, and a optical cable runs from my TV into my blu ray player surround sound system.

I am a noob, but how would I get 5.1 sound?

Thanks!
For your set-up you need to ensure a couple of things are possible / enabled - and it may be that in some cases it isn't possible.

1. Your TV's optical output needs to passthrough DD and DTS bitstreamed audio from external HDMI inputs. Some TVs will only handle 2.0 PCM or will only output DD audio from an internal OTA/Cable tuner. However if your TV DOES passthrough DD/DTS from HDMI to Optical, you may need to enable this facility in a menu on your TV as well.

2. The Kodi and Fire TV combo need to support DD/DTS passthrough over HDMI, and passthrough will need to be enabled in the Kodi System Audio settings, you may need to switch to Advanced or Expert for this to appear.
thanks so much dude! hopefully this works. by the way, is that the best way of doing it?
(2015-10-30, 19:28)cv15xbmc Wrote: thanks so much dude! hopefully this works. by the way, is that the best way of doing it?

If your TV supports passthrough of DD/DTS from HDMI to Toslink - then yes. If it doesn't then your only other real option is an HDMI Audio extractor that you put in-line between your FireTV and your TV. Or an HDMI friendly amp... Or listening in stereo.
This is a really old post, but unfortunately am having this issue...
(2016-03-29, 12:42)xeilef Wrote: This is a really old post, but unfortunately am having this issue...

Err... You might need to give us a little more than that, or ask us a question? How are we supposed to respond or help after that post?

What TV? What amp? What source? How connected? What OS?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
5.1 Audio?0