Unable to connect to remote server
Is there an answer to what causes this nag screen all the time on Kodi? I've searched and searched but there doesn't seem to be an answer anywhere.

I'm running Openelec Isengard 5.95, but having been getting the unable to connect to remote server all the time, it's getting really annoying now.
If I press yes to connect it still scans correctly so what gives?
All my media is on a Qnap Nas.

Thanks anyone for any help.
Debug_log (wiki) or it didnt happen Wink

Cheers!
I have the same problem. Whenever I try to update the library, I get the message "Unable to connect to remote server." And because Kodi cannot connect to the Internet, I cannot access any add-on repositories or alternative skins. However, the RSS feed text scrolls across the bottom of the screen.

The computer on which I am running Kodi is connected to the Internet and I can access the web through a web browser from this computer.

Network Info shows the Internet as Connected.

I also have the same revision of Kodi running on an iMac (OSX 10.8.5) on the same home network. On the iMac, Kodi can connect to the Internet without problems.

Details

Complete Debug Log: http://pastebin.com/SB2Tj6Up
Kodi Revision: 15.1 Git (unknown) (compiled: 15-1+dfsg1-3)
Kodi Skin: Confluence
Kodi Add-Ons: None
Linux Distribution: Ubuntu Desktop 15.10 (up to date as of 5th November, 2015) with curl package installed.
Hardware: Intel Broadwell NUC with Core i5-5250U 64-bit CPU and Intel HD 6000 GPU
Installation Method: Ubuntu software center

To reproduce the problem:

1. Start Kodi
2. Select Videos, Files.
3. From the slide-out menu drawer on the left, choose Update Library.

Thanks in advance for your help.
@yenpaul222: This version is not supported here. It is broken patched by debian - install our ppa version and also install libcurl3 package.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Well I've now done a fresh install of Isengard 6.0.0
No " Unable to connect to server" as yet.
Time will tell.
Hi fritsch,

Thank you for your help. Still no joy, unfortunately. The error still persists.

I verified that I have libcurl3 already installed:

$ dpkg --get-selections | grep -i curl
curl install
libcurl3:amd64 install
libcurl3-gnutls:amd64 install
python3-pycurl install

I then successfully installed Kodi from the Team Kodi ppa repository by following the instructions in Section 1.1 at: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_Linux.

Again, I tried to update the library and got the message "Unable to connect to remote server."

Changed Details Since My Initial Post:

Complete Debug Log: http://pastebin.com/zU588iZV
Kodi Revision: Kodi (15.2 Git:02e7013) (compiled: 1 Nov 2015)
Installation Method: apt from the Team Kodi ppa repository

Remaining Details (as before):

Kodi Skin: Confluence
Kodi Add-Ons: None
Linux Distribution: Ubuntu Desktop 15.10 (up to date as of 5th November, 2015) with curl package installed.
Hardware: Intel Broadwell NUC with Core i5-5250U 64-bit CPU and Intel HD 6000 GPU

Thanks again in advance for your help.
Use our ppa, please.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi fritsch,

Thanks again for your speedy response. I think you might have read the version of the post that I inadvertently posted before I was done with it. Sorry about that.

I have updated my post to provide complete details. I followed the instructions on the Kodi wiki to install Kodi from the ppa:team-xbmc/ppa respository.

Before installing, I removed the version that I had installed from Ubuntu software center and deleted my .kodi directory to ensure that the new installation was clean.

If I should install a different ppa, please let me know.
Hi fritsch,

Just to be sure that I was using your ppa not only for Kodi, but for the curl package that it depends on, I reinstalled the OS and then reinstalled Kodi from your ppa.

Again, I tried to update the library and got the message "Unable to connect to remote server."

The latest debug log: http://pastebin.com/5uF5HBKg

Linux Distribution: Ubuntu Desktop 15.10 (up to date as of 8th November, 2015)

All other details as before.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I´m a bit confused about the questionmarks in your path:

Code:
23:20:35 T:140100784690944    INFO: ADDON: cpluff: 'Could not read plug-in directory /home/??????/.kodi/addons: No such file or directory'
Hi David,

I edited the log file to replace the user name in the home directory with the question marks before pasting the log file in pastebin. For some reason, I didn't want to make that information public.

The directory in question is under the home directory of the user that is running kodi. The parent directory .kodi does exist (and contains the temp directory from which I got the log file).

Regards.
Looks like a dns problem.

Code:
23:20:35 T:140100784690944   DEBUG: Curl::Debug - TEXT: Resolving timed out after 10196 milliseconds
23:20:35 T:140100784690944   DEBUG: Curl::Debug - TEXT: Closing connection 0
23:20:35 T:140100784690944   ERROR: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: Timeout was reached(28)
23:20:35 T:140100784690944   ERROR: CCurlFile::Open failed with code 0 for http://mirrors.kodi.tv/addons/gotham/addons.xml.md5
23:20:35 T:140100784690944   ERROR: Open - failed to open source <http://mirrors.kodi.tv/addons/gotham/addons.xml.md5>

Do a quick ns diag:
Code:
sudo apt-get install dnsutils
dig mirrors.kodi.tv

This may shed some light on your problem.
If dig above fails do a trace
Code:
dig mirrors.kodi.tv +trace
Hi asavah,

Thanks for the tip. You were right that it was a DNS problem and I found a solution in the thread Internet is working on PC, but XBMC won't recognize it, which described my problem perfectly.

Details of what worked for me:

1. Open System Settings, Network, Wired, and click Options and then IPv4 Settings.
2. From the Method drop-down list, select Automatic (DHCP) addresses only.
3. In the DNS Servers field, type the address of the Google Public DNS: 8.8.8.8.
4. Click Save.
5. Restart the computer.

Now Kodi can access the Internet to update the library and I can access the add-on repositories and alternative skins.

Thanks again to all who replied for your help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to connect to remote server0