Solved [Openelec] best backup method?
Hi Guys

I recently updated to 15.2 Isengard / Openelec 6.0.0 and migrated my Kodi System from an 8GB SD to a bigger, faster SD using a Openelec Backup
It seemed to work fine, but as milhouse recommended to start with a fresh image, i finally did so.
It was a great advice by milhouse and a good decision. It also was a lot of "work" but now i've a clean Kodi with the basics i need, a clean log without a bunch of warnings and errors and the system is running so smooth.
Absolutely ready for backup.

So which Backup method is the best or should be the most reliable / future proof, e.g. in case of updating to future Kodi/Openelec releases?
I'd like to backup as much as possible, ideally the entire system 1:1

a) Openelec Backup using openelec configurator
b) Imaging SD Card
c) "Backup" Addon

Which one would be your choice?
Or is there even some other, better backup method which is not listed?

Thank you guys Smile
Imaging the SDcard would be a good start as a snapshot of what you have today. Do it after installing the Backup add-on though.
I'd use the Backup addon for scheduled backups (note: to an external drive, for example a NAS)
With this you could restore the KODI part of your system if the SDcard goes corrupt by writing the saved image to a new SDcard, then start the Pi from that card and use Backup in restore mode to read back the saved backup last done before the crash.
Of course any operating system (OpenElec) updates that have happened in between have to be reapplied.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
I'm using the Openelec Backup from time to time. Should be enough if you don't change your Kodi setup constantly.
Alright, thank you for your hints Smile

Seems to me, every method has it's individual advantages.So i dececided to do it all.
I'll create an "back to the roots" Image of the SD as it is right now including all the basics i need and also will create a back to the roots openelec backup for quick restore without removing the SD Card.

Scheduled Backups using the addon also make totally sense in case of emergency / data corruption. i'll also let it do that weekly. Should be fine ...

Thank you guys Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Openelec] best backup method?0